Sound Card and Microphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by esuule, Dec 14, 2006.

1. esuule

esuule Private E-2

Hey there,

I am having some trouble using my microphone with my sound card. The microphone works on other computers - I tried it on my roommate's computer - but it will not work on mine. The name on the microphone is this:

audio-technica omnidirectional ATR35s

I understand that in order to fix the problem I should know what type of sound card I have. When looking at the Device Manager to see what type of card I have all I find is this:

Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device
    Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver

What other information should I supply in order to find out how to configure to my sound card to use a microphone, or if I need to get a new one? Thanks a lot for your help!

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Have you plugged the microphone into the correct socket on the soundcard.
    Have you made sure that the microphone is not mutted.

Sound cards do not need to be configured to use a microphone in the same way that they do not need to be configured to use speakers.

Good Luck

3. esuule

esuule Private E-2

Yes I have done both of those things. I've checked the volume control and made sure microphone is never muted, and I've put the mic in the mic slot, line slot, and even speaker slot. No dice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds