Sound card problem: Dell Vostro 1510 with Realtek ALC268

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ludd, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludd

Ludd Private E-2

Hi people,
    I hope to find some expert advice here from you.

I have a Dell Vostro 1510. Two weeks ago my sound card Realtek ALC268 stopped working. I have been trying to find a solution ever since.

I think it is this sound card: Realtek ALC268 as that is the driver that was on the Cd-rom provide with purchase.
    I have tried:
    - to reinstall the drivers from the reinstall CD-rom and from the Dell website.
    - to reinstall Vista home basic
    - to reinstall the laptop to dell factory settings.
    - my device manager doesn't even find the sound card.
    - I have tried several simular programs, none seem to find the card.
    - Diagnostics doesn't find it either.

What can I do?
    I assume it is a sound card on the motherboard?
    I am not prepared to buy a entire new motherboard, so any other solutions I'm happy to hear from you!

Ludwig

2. Ludd

Ludd Private E-2

I discovered Everest. It sais:

[ On-Board Devices / Realtek HDA-00 ]

On-Board Device Properties:
    Description Realtek HDA-00
    Type Sound

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Start here
    http://support.dell.com/support/dsn...t=-1&lang=-1&customersearch=False&toggle=true
    and click on the 2nd item, a wizard for troubleshooting sound issues on your Vostro 1510.
    If that does nothing, go here
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/chat/hardware_chat?c=us&l=en&s=gen
    and see if you warranty would still cover live chat.

Also, just on the slim chance that something was switched off, go into the BIOS, look around and be sure sound is enabled. There are also keys that control mute, and volume. Be sure the sound is not muted or really so low that you can't hear it.

If all of that fails, then I suspect your sound chip is gone.

4. Ludd

Ludd Private E-2

Hi Plodr,
    Thanks for your help.
    I have tried the microsoft help. It is off nu use.
    Warranty is passed and Dell does not answer emails when it is about Vostro. All I get is a nr in the USA to ring (which I am not!) and The Dell support Forum makes it impossible for me to log in:I can't find Dell support to reset old log in details. (my vostro laptop is registered and I can't retrieve the old login details.)
    and my Bios doesnt have any options to dis or enable sound.
    It is definitely a driver installation or hard ware problem.

I wish there was software available that could tell me what the problem actually is instead of saying you have a problem and we can't solve it.
    sigh. I thought I Dell was a trustworthy brand. I feel I was wrong.

5. Ludd

Ludd Private E-2

Hi
    I have tried everything
    Some people told me to get a new motherboard. But I think it doesn't even have a seperate audiochip.

Someone told me I might have reinstalled the drivers in the wrong order. I can't be bothered trying that again.

I have circumvented the problem by getting a creative soundcard and some speakers. That costed me £40.

Ludd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds