sound card vs onboard sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by frazzled, Apr 23, 2003.

1. frazzled

frazzled Keeping the peace

Ok here is the short of it. I installed a sb audigy yesterday and disabled the on board sound(ac 97) in the bios. Installed driver for sb and and now i have no sound at all. The startup sounds are good and games will have sound for about 30 secs and then nothing but buzz. device manager recognizes both. how do i get it to not recognize the onboard sound and keep the sb. Do i have to uninstall drivers for onboard sound. and if so how do i do that? i am no computer literati as you can tell by the amount of noob questions. any help would be much appreciated thanks.

mobo: ecs k7vza
    t-bird 1.2
    384 megs ram
    gf4 ti4200
    win xp pro
    :D

2. BigBird

BigBird Private First Class

go to your control panel! Start->settings->control panel then go to add/remove programs. You should find the driver for your old sound chip there! remove and reboot! Let us know if that works!

3. frazzled

I will give that a whirl when i get home from work. thanks. i'll let you know how it comes out
    :D

4. frazzled

Taco: It didn't work. First, in the add\remove box my, drivers for the onboard sound didn't show at all, yet the onboard sound works fine. I removed the audigy and set up the oboard sound again. Then i removed and disabled the onboard sound. then installed the audigy and and installed the drivers for. Then windows start up music plays and the creative task bar music plays but as soon as i start a game the music will play for about 20 seconds and then this f'n horrible god forsaken high pitch squeal will erupt from my headphones. I really want this thing in my machine b\c onboard sound sucks!!!

5. BigBird

BigBird Private First Class

have you tried putting your sc in a different slot..sometimes there can be irq conflicts that can cause problems such as this...had an old areal vortex sc that I never could get to work right on a kt133a board and win 2000!

6. frazzled

Taco: Yeah I tried to put it into a diff slot(that sounds good huh) and it still didn't work. I wanted this thing to work, bad!!! I hate having on board sound. my next board(rda+) ordered on tuesday is on the way from newegg. I want to get this one working for the wife. I'll tinker with it sopme more and see what happens. thanks for the help, i appreciate it.:D

7. 1sublime28

1sublime28 Private E-2

HEY! You might want to get a old set of those earphone jacks and wire the two.Plug one into the onboard sound and the other it the line in on your new sound card.That should solve the problem.Sublime

8. acorn78

acorn78 Private E-2

Have u disabled the onboard sound option in the bios? usually if you dont its going to keep loading in windows.

9. acorn78

acorn78 Private E-2

Actually yes on re-reading your post again, the way to stop it from recognizing onboard sound is to simply disable it in bios. Should work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds