Sound crackles and slows down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hexadecimal, Jun 13, 2008.

1. hexadecimal

hexadecimal Private E-2

Hi, i have a problem where my sound crackles and slows down when ever i open/load while listening to something. It seems it happen even when the CPU is used the slightest bit. It also happens when i boot windows on the log in sound. It doesn't crackle at all on ubuntu 8.04, but with windows it happens a lot. When i play crysis it crackles the whole time. I tried updating drivers and messing with the volume, making sure my sound card is working right, but no success. Anyone know how to fix this ?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Make sure all your connections are tight and not sloppy at all.
    Does this happen with both the speakers and headphones?
    Do you use equalizer settings that have a lot of bass?

3. ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe Private E-2

I have this same problem. Cant seem to fix it.

4. hexadecimal

hexadecimal Private E-2

This is on my laptop (compal HEL80) and i both the laptop speakers and my other speakers do it. So the connection is fine and i don't use equalizers.

5. ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe Private E-2

In my case its on my desktop, happens with headset or speakers, front connection or back. Happens when I try to play sounds and the CPU is under any kind of load at all. Usually starts at 30% load.

6. hexadecimal

hexadecimal Private E-2

I didn't really pay attention to the usage %, but right when i start windows media player it crackles and slows down at the beginning, and then randomly throughout the song, or when I'm loading something. Windows also takes ages to boot and seems over all slow, which it shouldn't with my system specs:
    Core 2 T7200 @ 2.0GHz
    2.50 Gigs of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GO 7600

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

About all I can suggest is to check your start-ups that load with WIndows and make sure you are not running to many unnecessary things. StartUpCPL is a good app for this, because you can disable (or even delete) and restore it if it's something you shouldn't have stopped.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download619.html

I was going to suggest updating your audio but your PC looks like it has Realtek HD and I don't think there is a new version yet. Plus Realtek can be trouble if you have a bad install.

8. hexadecimal

hexadecimal Private E-2

I figured it out for anyone who wants to know. Go to your system, click on hardware, then device manager, go to IDE controllers and uninstall Primary and secondary IDE controller and restart your computer. It will fix the problem.

9. ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe Private E-2

This wont screw up the IDE devices?

10. hexadecimal

hexadecimal Private E-2

Didn't for me. I believe they reinstalled themselves on restart.

11. ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe Private E-2

Well, not sure what it is about that.. but it worked!

Good stuff!

12. hexadecimal

hexadecimal Private E-2

Yep, same here. I don't know how that fixes anything but it did. Windows loads faster and sound is normal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds