sound cutting off and on problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reezy718, Jul 26, 2007.

1. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

For some reason when I play audio files from a p2p program or play video games on my emulator the sound will play for a little while and then cut off.It also happens when I watch movies.sometimes The sound will cut off in 5 mins and when I restart the computer the sound will be back on.thats the only way I can get it back on.
    Another thing when I do restart it the sound works again and lasts lil longer but still cuts off at some point.I tried restarting the computer over and over again and still having this same problem.The only thing that the sound will work with for an unlimited time is aim messenger and yahoo messenger.Everything else the sound will last from 5 mins to 2 hours.
    I tried scanning my computer for spyware adware viruses and found none.Here is my system information:
    Field Value
    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name CUSTOMER
    User Name Administrator

Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1400 MHz (7 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Foxconn 755A01/K8S755A Series (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 760, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 224 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (09/06/04)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
    Video Adapter SiS760 (32 MB)
    3D Accelerator SiS 330 Mirage Integrated
    Monitor HP D8901 [17" CRT] (MY94809521)

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage
    IDE Controller SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller
    IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP0411N (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    Optical Drive LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
    Optical Drive TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SDM2012C (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive UB9944K GVR445B SCSI CdRom Device
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
    C: (FAT32) 38192 MB (14005 MB free)

Input
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network
    Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (74.72.193.233)
    Modem HSP56 Micromodem

Peripherals
    Printer Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-210
    Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
    USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I usually find sound problems are related to a faulty driver.
    Try right click My Computer, click manage,go to devices, and find Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device, driver, and uninstall driver, then shut down, and restart, for Windows to find it, and reinstall it.
    I suggest that you check for an updated driver for the audio, from Foxcon support, before uninstalling, as when you restart you could install the new driver.

3. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

I right clicked the my computer and there is no such thing as manage.I dont see it.its not on my menu.Is there another way I can get to it?
    What if I uninstall the adapter sis 7012 audio device and i lose all my sound completely?Also before i unstall it and restart my computer can you give me a link to that foxcon supprt?Should I just uinstall it first or go to that foxcon support?

Edit:sorry about that I found the manage button.I dont see nothing that says go to devices though.how do I get to that.another question can you tell me exactly how to get to it?Im not that good with computers

4. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

hey i couldnt find that program adapter sis 7012 audio device .can you tell me exactly how to get there?Please help me out,I been having this audo problem for almost a year.

5. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

why is nobody trying to help me out?I thought this was suppose to be a support forum?can somebody please answer my question and help me out?It seems like everybody is trying to avoid answering my question.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, I am in an area recently hit by flooding, and keep getting cut off line- I will find the drivers for you first, and come back shortly, and lead you through it.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

To uninstal the current audio driver---Sorry I was not more detailed before.
    Right click My Computer, click manage,click device manager,click sound/audio and game controllers, and the audio device should be listed, ther. Double click to see properties, click driver, click uninstal. Then shut down and restart and Windows will find a driver from its cache.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If the link I provide has timed out you will have to go here first
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/downloads.aspx
    You can download the file from Foxconn, to your desktop, but I usually create a new folder to download drivers to, as some need to be extracted before showing you the setup icon.
    If you wish to use the new driver, go back to the device manager, and uninstal the existing driver, but do not shut down, and then go to the extracted driver and click setup,then you can just follow the instructions, and the driver will instal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

Its ok I understand. two questions though.which audio device do I click?I see audio codecs,legacy audio drivers,Media control devices and Realtek AC'97 Audio.which one of those am i suppose to double click?Another question should I download the audio file from the link you gave me first or should I uninstall my audio device first and restart my computer?I just wanna make sure cuz I dont wanna mess up my computer by mistake or anything

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Now , you have Realtek ac97, so uninstal that driver, and restart, and Windows will reinstal it.
    If it does not work any better, then you will need an update, but I will come back, after checking the ac97 driver update, as the driver I gave there was for the 760chipset audio driver- so leave that fo a few minutes.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

AC97 Drivers can be niggly, so I would set a system restore point before updating to your system.
    The motherboard audio driver is always the best to try first.

If that one is o.k, then leave it be.

Otherwise this site is the main sis download driver site, but only try this one, if
    1/ The reinstal of the original was not working correctly, and
    2/ The motherboard manufacturers driver was no better.
    I repeat, set a system restore point before installing any (especially sound ) drivers, as it is easy then to go back to where you wer before installing a new driver.

http://www.driver-downloads.com/sis/sis.htm

I will look in again tommorrow, as I have to go now.

13. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

aight I'll probably just uninstall the ac97 driver and let windows reinstall it. tje only question I have now is Can you tell me how to set a system restore point?Thanks for helping me out.

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like you are in the expert hands of backlogic. I can tell you how to make a system restore point. Start-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. You should get a screen with a create System Restore Point. Create one and name it so you can find it easily if you need it.

E

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks for popping in Fred,
    Keep us posted reezy718

16. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

so far its going good.I uninstalled the realt tek ac97 audio drive and when i restarted my computer,it installed it self.So far things is going good.The sound hasnt cut off yet since I did that.I'll still bookmark the link to the updates in you gave me just in case I have more sound problems.Thank you so much for your help

Do you have an instant messenger I can reach you on just in case I have more problems?

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Someone will help, if, and when you need help and advice at majorgeeks- there are many great 'geeks' here, and all are always willing to give whatever help they can.
    Just post a question, and if no one answers straightaway, as they may be off-line, someone will.

18. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

hey whats up,I dont know if you still be on here or not but Im having sound problems.It's still cutting off and on.I tried downloaded the updated driver you gave me but when I extracted it,it was folder with about 80 files and it doesnt even have a setup icon or nothing.
    the other updated driver you gave me the PCI SiS 7012 Audio Device wouldnt install at all.what am I suppose 2 do now?please reply if you still be on here

19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The sis driver has a disclaimer,as follows, and they will not guarantee it will work with all boards- It says
    "We only manufacture chipsets for Mainboards/VGA cards, but do not assemble boards or cards for retail use. Retail board and card manufacturers often customize SiS chipsets' hardware and software to suit their particular system or configuration, so drivers on this site may not work for your particular system.
    Your manufacturer is the best source of information for product information and support. We suggest you obtain technical assistance from your board or card manufacturer first before installing SiS drivers.

SiS does not guarantee the proper functionality of these drivers on your customized systems and we assume no responsibility for any problems occur upon the installation of SiS drivers."

That is why I said to make restore points, and only to use if nothing else worked- So, I am sorry it was no good for your system- With luck, the motherboard driver should do the trick.
    Come back, and keep us posted.

21. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

aight,so which audio device am i suppose to uninstall?do i have to uninstall the Realtek ac97 again or do I have to uninstall a different driver?If I have to uninstall a different driver,then can you let me know how to get to it?Also when I did try to run the exerun file it gave me an error saying exerun.exe is not a valid win32 application.what am I suppose to do now?

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes, uninstall the ac97 driver, then restart, as before,. It should offer to reinstall ac97 driver, and if it works again (it should), or, you can choose to install the new driver , by brouse button to the folder you extracted the new driver to, nd click the o.k button.
    Come back after trying, and let us know, as I will be off-line in half an hour.

23. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

yea i did that and when it restarted,it automatically installed the ac97 driver by it self.It didnt give me any option to install the new driver.what do I do now?another thing when I try to run the exerun.exe it gives me an error and doesnt allow it to run

another thing I know where the extracted files is at.its in a folder called audio with 80 different files and no setup icons

24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I checked in the folders, and It seems that the setup.exe icon is in the 5410 folder.

25. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

whats up,when you get a chance I need ya help.I actually ran into a whole new problem with my computer.I was thinkin about making another thread but I figured I just ask you here.for some reason anything I play that has audio including videos,the sound is real choppy.my mouse also moves real choppy and lag.I tried defragmentting scanned for viruses with avg,and also scanned with spybot and ad aware.avg found 2 trojans and I got rid of them,however Im still having the same problems still with my computer.how can I fix this

Edit:I never got a chance to install the new driver yet cuz my computer just ran into all these new problems

26. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

27. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

aight i posted what I have so far.its my hijack file and bitdefender online scanner.It didnt find any trojans or viruses or anything.what should I do next?please reply to me when you get a chance.

Attached Files:

28. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You need to follow the malware link, and if you have done all the required work, post to malware, on your virus / trojan issues, as a seperate issue.
    If it is running o.k otherwise, and just the sound, then uninstal the driver, and to install the new driver , go to the folder you extracted the new driver to, and click the setup.exe icon , which is in the 5410 folder. Then shutdown, restart.

29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

30. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

how do I know which version to download from him?Im not even sure what version of Realtek ac 97 I have?which version of nick's AC97 driver should I download?

31. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

another thing,that setup icon in the 5410 wont let me even open it.when I try to open it,it says setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.what do I do now

32. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Do you double click the setup.exe file ? That is normally all you have to do.
    Otherwise, back to square one.
    Look through nicks ac97 drivers, and try the last posted one first (by date)
    If this one does not work, I can only suggest you got ot a previous one, in his posts, and try that.
    You will see by the special post of his, that ac97 drivers can be niggly.

33. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

I downloaded the latest realtek ac97 from nick's thread and it has improved my sound.The sound is still skipping but not as much as before.Its much less skipping.I would say that my audio is about 75% right now.the video is still jumping but not as much as before.What you think I should do?is there anymore audio or video drivers that I need to update my computer?

34. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have this on my XP,an XP codec pack - It could help.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_Codec_Pack_d4838.html
    The only other thing I can suggest is that I believe the film audio/video will always play up a bit, because of the processor - I hear that you need at least a 1.5 P4, or, similar Semperon to run films without any lag at all, but perhaps someone else can confirm that.

35. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

Im download that pack you gave me.It sounds like it'll probably fix my audio problem.
    another thing though,another problem that I was having is that my computer will shut down by itself.Sometimes it will just do it out of nowhere.It'll restart it self.I think I know why this is going on but Im not sure.I wen to control panel>>>>administrative tools>>>>>Event Viewer to check my application and system records and I noticed that they both have a lot of errors.I have no idea how to fix these errors.I attached my application and system records.Please look at and let me know what I should do to fix those errors

Attached Files:

36. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Earlier errors woul have been when you had problems installing the sound driver.
    If you double click an error, it will tell you more.
    Avg ha sbeen playing up, - this is sometimes a problem, I suggest you uninstal AVG, and reinstall it fresh, this usually solves it, as sometimes its updates , like Windows cause cooruption, and the next update often cures it - but you can wait to see if it happens again.

37. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

38. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

yea I was thinking about uninstalling avg and reinstalling it.another thing microsoft wont let me download windows installer 3.1 because I dont have Vista.It says something bout some genuine windows check(something like that).Is there anyway I can get around that?Is there another site where I can get windows installer 3.1?Please reply when you get a chance.

39. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As long as your XP is a genuine one, then you will get the update.
    If your XP IS NOT GENUINE, you will not be allowed to download it - it has nothing to do with Vista.All you need to do to get the installer, is to click continue, and you will then go through the Genuine Advantage check by Microsoft.

40. reezy718

reezy718 Private E-2

when I tried to download it said:This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation.
    The product key found on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked.
    The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your computer may be at risk.

The Windows product key installed on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked. A VLK is typically licensed to organizations that want to use multiple copies of Windows. However, if a VLK is reported as stolen or leaked, it is blocked from passing validation and is not considered genuine.

You or your organization may be a victim of software counterfeiting if:

You received a computer with a VLK, but you do not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, or
    Your organization purchased a VLK from a 3rd party but does not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft.

If you do have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, you believe you are using the appropriate VLK assigned to your organization, and your VLK has not been reported as stolen or lost, contact your system administrator, Large Account Reseller (LAR), or Enterprise Software Advisor (ESA) to report the problem.

I dont understand why my windows isnt passing the genuine check.another thing it says that the windows genuine advantage kit costs $149.00 which is an outrageous.There's no way in the world Im paying that amount of money lol.I'm not trying to pay any money,I wanna download the windows installer 3.1 from a site thats free.

41. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Unfortunately, Windows piracy protection does not always get it right. Assuming yours is genuine, I suggest you contact Microsoft to see if there is anything you can do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds