Sound drivers for CMEDIA AC97 won't work.

Discussion in 'Software' started by pariah, Nov 19, 2007.

1. pariah

pariah Private E-2

I have A Biostar M7VIP Motherboard with an onboard CMEDIA AC97. I don't have the original disk anymore so I had to go searching for a set of new drivers to get it to work. I got them from here.

I recently had to reinstall Windows 2000 and forgot to back up my devices, which is why this happened. But I've never had this sort of sound trouble before.

I've installed the drivers and have gotten the computer to notice them in the control panel, but whenever I try to make it work it says the "CMEDIA AC97 Audio Device cannot start (code 10)."

Suggestions?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you also installed the Via 4 in 1 Chipset driver? at times this one is needed first before many onboard hardware devices will work.... download of this is at same site you linked to above,

3. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Thank you for responding.

I just did and it didn't work. In the device manager it says, "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

4. pariah

pariah Private E-2

I just deleted it and did a clean install just to make sure it wasn't any leftover bugs, but sill nothing.

Is it possible there's something wrong with my registry?

5. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Any leads?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

With a re-install the registry wont be an issue, its a driver of some sort that your missing, cannot fathom out why the one off the Biostar website doesnt work for you, are you full upto date with Windows 2000 as in at service pack 4 http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/default.mspx

If you have done a clean install of the OS, installed the chipset drivers and then the sound, you should be working in theory.

Check your BIOS to see if onboard sound/audio is off ( if option available )

Check in Services ( Admin Tools > Services ) to see if Windows Audio Service is Started and on Automatic.

Please name all if possible devices in Device Manager which have a yellow ! mark by them.

7. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Thank you for responding.

Yes, my Windows 2000 is fully updated with Service Pack 4.

The BIOS did not offer me a sound/audio option.

I checked the Services and Windows Audio Service was not in it.

The only device with the yellow marker is "C-Media AC97 Audio Device." It tells me it has the driver, but still suffers a "(code 10 This device cannot start)."

There's also a device on here called an "MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device." I've been getting the feeling that it's conflicting with the C-Media but haven't been able to remove it. Is their credence to that belief or am I just reaching?

Something else to note is that there's this stray "CMI Audio Config" icon in my Control Settings folder that refuses to go away even after I make attempts to uninstall C-Media so I can do a clean install to make sure I didn't screw anything up. It won't even respond when I click on it.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Let me get this right...... You went to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, then scrolled down and Windows Audio wasn't there?

9. pariah

pariah Private E-2

That's correct.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That is an odd issue.
    I have a suggestion if you have your OS install CD or a recovery partition.
    Download this utility http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html
    After installing, start it up and click the tools button (the hammer at bottom), scroll down to SFC purge, run it and then run SFC scan. This will check your files to make sure none are missing or corrupt and will replace them if they are. You may have to re-update your SP's afterwards.
    See if that helps. I have another solution but it entails editing the registry. :eek

11. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Alright, I have to apologize. After running the SFC purge, I found out that I have Windows Service Pack 2 and not 4. So I'm gonna grab the SP4 or, if I can, SP5 and see if that's the problem.

12. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Alright, I've updated to SP4 and have run the purge and...I think it's done the scan, but the sound is still not working.

I don't mind messing with the Registry...Just make sure your instructions are kinda idiot-proof.:eek:

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Edit: I just remembered that some anti-virus programs will interfere with driver installs. So before, trying the reg mod, download the drivers again, go off-line, shut your AV software off, and re-try the installs.

I found this reg script on the web. It is supposed to put Windows Audio service back into the services. (I haven't tried it and am not sure it works.)

Make a restore point. (editing the register is tricky)
    If things go funny on you, after the reg change, restore back to the restore point you just made. Check your services after modifying to see if the Windows Audio is there and turn it on if needed. If there are other services missing or not running that the Windows Audio depends on, then this will not work.

How to modify the register:

1)
    Copy the text below into Notepad, being careful to select all the text.
    2) Save the file using the .reg extension. (Desktop is a good place to save it to)
    3) Double-click the file to import it into the registry.
    4) Click "Yes" in the Registry Editor message box, and another message box tells you if you've successfully entered the information in the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv]
    "DependOnService"=hex(7):50,00,6c,00,75,00,67,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,00,00,\
    "Description"="Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."
    "DisplayName"="Windows Audio"
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Group"="AudioGroup"
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
    74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\
    00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\
    6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00
    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "Type"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv\Parameters]
    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
    00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
    61,00,75,00,64,00,69,00,6f,00,73,00,72,00,76,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,\
    "ServiceDllUnloadOnStop"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_AUDIOSRV\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  14. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Okay, I got the reg file setup, but I'm not sure if I made a restore point correctly for my 2000 setup. Could you give me a brief explanation of how to do so just so I can make sure?

Also, should I name the file anything in particular? "Windows Audio" perhaps?

Sorry I'm moving so slow.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I have never used Win2000, but here is a short description on registry back-up.

Backing up the Windows 2000 registry

The Microsoft Windows 2000 registry can be backed up easily from the backup utility by following the below steps.
    1. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and click backup.
    2. Within backup, click the backup tab.
    3. Within the backup tab, check "System State", this will create a backup of boot files, COM+ Class Registry Database, and the system registry.
    Restoring the Windows 2000 registry
    If you have created backups using the Microsoft backup utility from the backup utility you can also restore the registry through this utility.

Windows Audio.reg
    should be good. That way you can find it if you lose it on your PC. (I do that often) LOL
    Also, if you run into probs after adding to the registry, you can re-start your PC and hit F8 (several times as the PC begins to re-start), then click "last known good configuration"

16. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Is there another way I can put it into the registry? Because it's giving me a message that "The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files." I used notepad and I made sure to copy it all in correctly. Why's it throwing a tantrum?

17. pariah

pariah Private E-2

That is to say, I know how to open the regedit, but I'm just not sure I'd be putting it in the right H_KEY folder.

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Did you save the file as a .reg file? (Windows Audio.reg for example ) When you have the fix above in notepad, you can set the extension before saving it. (see thumbnail)
    Once it is saved, double click on it.

I have never really added things to my register through regedit, so I'm not much help there.
    If double-clicking on the file you created doesn't work, there are 3 parts of that reg fix (spaces separate them)
    First one goes here: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv]
    Second here:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv\Parameters]
    Third here:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv\Enum]

Attached Files:

19. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Yep. And it still refused to import it.

Am I entering this stuff in as a DWORD, a binary, or a string?

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Don't know for sure, Ill see if I can find someone who does know.

Sorry, I couldn't help...but this is the first time I have seen the prob you have. Good luck and let me know if that reg fix works, so I can pass it on to the next one with your prob. ;)

21. pariah

pariah Private E-2

No problem. Thank you for your input thus far.

22. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Pariah, what does the icon look like on the file? It should look like building blocks instead of a NotePad icon. See the picture I've attached.

Attached Files:

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Don't use that reg file pariah...... i just looked back at the place I found it and it is for Win 2003 not Win2k

24. pariah

pariah Private E-2

*phew* Thanks for telling me. That could have been bad.

Yes. It does look like building blocks. So I definitely labeled it correctly.

I know it's academic since it turned out to be Win03 code, but perhaps it was an alternative way of saying it was typed up wrong.

25. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Lord knows I don't want to, but I'm gonna try reinstalling windows 2000 Professional. I keep thinking that maybe something just went wrong with SP4 when it upgraded SP2. I figure I might get lucky with a clean install.

Cross your fingers.

26. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Good about catching my last post... I goofed there. Told you registery wasn't my thing. rolleyes

I did read somethings about SP4 and fixes for probs, but the audio fix link took me to an XP fix.
    Let me know again how the install works out and we can start at the beginning.
    Check for all windows updates after your done installing the SP4, maybe they have a fix update.

27. pariah

pariah Private E-2

It didn't work. However, in the process of destroying my machine out of frustration, I was able to catch a glimpse of the motherboard before I crumpled it to pieces. My face was a little red when I saw that the part number read M7VIF and not M7VIP. The only thing different about those two boards happened to be the sound drivers. M7VIP uses CMI drivers whereas M7VIF uses Audio Codecs 2.2. I wished I had figured this out before I cleared the partition in an attempt to get a clean reinstall. Now my Wi-Fi. *sigh*

So...Yeah, I figured out the problem. All that stress for nothing. I'm really sorry guys. I wasted your time.:eek:

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

;)Glad you got things straight...... We all make silly mistakes, especially misreading small numbers and letters. *8s and B's get me confused. :D And it was no waste of time, it kept me from playing some silly game. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds