Sound Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NGazzara, Dec 9, 2012.

1. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Hi,

In the control panel under "sounds & audio devices" the volume tab shows "no audio device" appears. I checked all the devices listed in the "hardware" tab all are working correctly except IDT High Definition Audio CODEC - I unistalled and reinstalled but I get an error that reads " Cannot start IDT High Definition Audio Codec - Code 10.

My OS: XP Pro

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Make and exact model of computer.
    You probably are using a sound chip on the motherboard instead of an add-in card. In this case, you need to install motherboard drivers. To know what motherboard is in the computer, we need the brand and exact model.

3. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

I am using a Dell Precision 390 workstation Intel(R) Core2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz

Thanks

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, NGazzara...

Your driver downloads are most likely located here but to be precise could you please provide us with your Dell Service Tag #? Also - what Windows XP Service Pack # are you using, and is this a 32-bit or a 64-bit system?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Start page for Precision 390 for documentation, help and downloads
    http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/precision-390

If you scroll down and see Top Solutions and click on Sound Problems in Windows you will get a popup window with suggestions as well as a MS Fixit button. If it is the motherboard driver, the Fixit solution will not fix the problem.

6. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Thank you for your assistance. I downloaded a driver from the Dell site and my system sounds have been restored.
    Happy Holidays
    Nancy

7. Caliban

Thanks for the feedback. If you happen to re-visit this thread, could you post the the name of the file that fixed your machine for future reference? Thanks!

8. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

I found the driver for my machine at: "http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/precision-390...chose audio and downloaded the SIGMATEL-Driver Applies to:
    STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio
    Optional 7/28/2006 5.10.0.4991, A08
    Vendor Version : 5.10.0.4991 Dell Version : A08

I hope this helps!

9. Caliban

Thanks for the info, Nancy - Happy Holidays to you, too...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds