sound mess drivers/vista/update bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddyjoe, Sep 30, 2007.

1. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

hello. i have gotten myself into quite the mess. upon installing vista i lost various components of my audio/microphone and in my last attempt at correcting it i lost all my audio. in device manager my High Definition Audio Device has an exclamation mark inside a triangle and when i look at its properties it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". ive updated all the drivers and nothing happens. i read on various other forums that i may need to update my bios to read the soundcard. please help me. thank you in advance.

my specs are as follows:
    HP dv1659us
    US Product Number: ET738UA#ABA
    Microprocessor 1.66 GHz Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology featuring Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2300
    Microprocessor Cache 2MB L2 Cache
    Memory 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Memory Max 2048MB
    Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    Video Memory 128MB (shared)
    Hard Drive 100GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Multimedia Drive DVD±R/RW and CD-RW Combo Drive with Double Layer Support
    Display 14.0” WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 768)

the following is my bios info:
    type Phoenix
    date 02/16/06
    ID Quanta 30A0 BIOS Version: F.09
    oem sign on: None
    super i/o Unknown
    chipset: Intel 27A0 rev 3
    cpu Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300

if you need anything else feel free to ask. i cleaned my registry also.
    the previous audio i had was called conexant i believe.
    thank you again

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

You know that if you upgrade your comp to Vista you will need drivers for vista,cos the drivers from Xp will not work on Vista.Go to HP site and download drivers for Vista.You have Xp firstly when you bought your laptop,right?

And WELCOME to Major Geeks!!!

3. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

drivers were updated from the HP site. everything is up to date on that.
    XP was on the computer first, then i upgraded to vista 4 months ago and everything worked fine except for the microphone and recently i needed it so i uninstalled the drivers to look for some new ones and it erased everything from my sound card i guess bc my devices (mic, speakers, etc) are no longer present. i do not have a system restore option (im fuct, i know) and my speakers and nothing else of the sort works.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

ok,so install the drivers again,for sound.

5. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

thanks for your prompt responses. i greatly appreciate it.
    i reinstalled them but at the end of the install, after i restart the computer, when its setting up after detecting the changes etc, it says that there was an error in the installation.
    in device manager, under "sound, video and game controllers" there always existed the "high definition audio device"
    it still exists but now with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.
    when i double click the "high def audio device" it says that the drivers are up to date but under "device status" it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
    it also has a check for solutions box but that provides no help whatsoever.
    once again i appreciate your help..

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

7. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

thanks! this gave me a great lead.. ive been working on it since you sent the link..
    what im doing is downloading the most recent "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio"
    and hopefully that'll sync with the already recent drivers i have on the actual high def audio device.
    ill let you know.
    thanks again.

8. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

i tried installing the new driver and i received this prompt:
    ERROR
    Driver installation failed: could not find the MEDIA device for this driver.

9. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

i installed the most recent Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio VERSION: 1.00 Rev. B.
    which did not install successfully.
    i changed the drivers on my high definition audio device to:
    Conexant High Definition Audio VERSION: 3.21.0.0 Rev. A
    but it also did not install successfulling giving me the following error message:
    ERROR
    Driver installation failed: could not find the MEDIA device for this driver.

its been a long frustrating day..

10. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

ok everyone. i resolved the most of my problems.
    i am entering this for anyone who had my problem for reference.
    i downloaded and installed the correct chipset:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32646.exe
    then the correct UAA drivers:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35811.exe
    and finally the correct conexant drivers:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34771.exe

the problem NOW is that i only receive audio through the headphone jack (with the headphones plugged in) and the inbuilt speakers and microphone do not work which leads me to believe that i STILL do not have the correct Conexant drivers.
    could someone please help me? thanks!

11. eddyjoe

eddyjoe Private E-2

once again. this is for reference that (not) hopefully someone has the same problem and googles it and i provide them with the answer.
    i got the sound to work bc i downloaded the conexant drivers for windows XP!
    Conexant High Definition Audio Driver 3.21.0.0 A

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds