Sound not working and corel registry problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by mastermiaow, Jan 8, 2013.

1. mastermiaow

mastermiaow Private First Class

Hi

Originally posted in Malware Removal but Tim advised should be in here. The logs are in my post in that forum as I am unable to upload them here..

My problems started some 6 weeks ago when in an attempt to get a faster browser, I removed firefox and installed chrome. I also thought I needed to remove the firefox pdf reader and installed another pdf reader (I think it was a word perfect but am not sure). Now when I right click on start to explore I get an alert with the title 'Corel':
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" Value: "Configdir" not found in registry

If I click on this I get:
    The base UI language directory is invalid.

The only work around is to click each alert three times which then brings up the start right click menu. If I click the alerts once or twice and then try anything the whole system freezes and I have to reboot. I went online and this seems to be a problem with Corel leaving traces in the registry. I followed some instructions to change a Corel registry item which worked once but then the problem returned.
    In the meantime the sound stopped working. I am not sure if the problem is related or not...
    I have done system restore twice to before I downloaded the word perfect pdf reader. I have defragged. I have uninstalled Corel from Add/Remove programmes. I have scanned using avg antivirus. I have run cc cleaner twice. I have checked Device Manager and can see nothing alerted under sound controllers. I have followed all the instructions in the Windows XP Malware removal instructions.
    Hope that you can help :)

Matthew

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Download ShellExView.
    Extract the content of the zip file to its own directory and then run ShellExView.
    Any non Microsoft extension will be highlighted. You can also scroll across to the 'Company' column and click in the header to sort the entries by company name.
    See if there's any entries related to Corel present. If there are, then disable the entries and reboot.

3. mastermiaow

Thanks!
    I followed instructions and explore option now working :) However the sound is still non operational. Is there anyway I can find out if this is a software or hardware problem?

Many thanks

Matthew

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , Happy New Year :)

Is there any ? in Device Manager menu ?
    Start - Run mmc devmgmt.msc
    Ok

5. mastermiaow

Hi Bruce ;)

There is no explanation mark or question mark in device manager. There is a list under 'Sound,video and game controllers' including things like Audio codecs, Soundmax integrated digital audio. Should I try deleting and reinstalling something?

Thanks again

Matthew

6. falconattack

7. mastermiaow

Hi
    I looked at the link. I have an IBM Thinkpad R50e with XP and have checked through System Manager that the the sound devices are enabled. I wonder if I should uninstall soundmax integrated digital audio and then reininstall? Is this easy to do?

Thanks

Matthew

8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

9. falconattack

10. mastermiaow

OK my Thinkpad is 1834-BYG
    Soundmax wasn't listed in add/remove programs so I uninstalled through device manager.
    I downloaded the audio driver from http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/deta...cID=MIGR-55042 and installed them in here C:\Drivers\Win\Audio
    When I tried to play through Winamp an error message came up.
    There was an exclamation mark in Device manager and I scanned for hardware changes which resulted in Soundmax being reinstalled.
    But although there is no longer an error message coming up when I try to play something, there is still no sound...:(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds