Sound Problem!! Not speakers, Motherboard??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lady123, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Lady123

Lady123 Private E-2

i use onboard sound, and just recently my sound has started to make funny noises. it makes crackling noises and also does a slow motion move every now and then.
    other times its just too bad id rather just go without my music.
    Ive updated my drivers, installed a new codecs pack. the sound kept getting worse.
    i can imagine the more i leave the problem, the more it gets worse. but i dont know what the problem is.

ive installed a sound card which worked fine at first, but then it went all funky as well. doing the exact same which my onboard was doing.
    i know longer know which sounds better, the onboard or the soundcard.
    Its not my speakers, have tested and tried all that.
    i bought a new psu (550w) incase it was lacking power cos before i had a 300w.

when the problem with the sound started, the image would lag a bit when i watched movies too. even after updating the codecs and stuff, it still lags.

i am getting so upset cos all this has happened in the past week.

Could it be my motherboard that may have a faulty spot that is maybe just getting worse as it goes along?

i am now listening to music via my phone through my sound system.
    i am out of ideas.
    Please help!

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Your not streaming music from the net are you? Presumably it is mp3s of your HD?

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's,
    I doubt very much that this is a motherboard issue, as you say you are experiencing the same issue with the sound card that you installed yourself, I am thinking that it is a software issue, what programs have you installed previously to the issue starting, please list them as they could be causing conflicts with your Audio device.
    I also will need some more info about your machine i.e.. Make/Model and what OS you are running.

iain.t :major

4. Lady123

Lady123 Private E-2

i play my music from my itunes, all music is located on my internal harddrive. always has been.

i have 4gb ram
    and have a core 2 duo machine.
    im running windows 7 64-bit.
    after the problem occurred, i bought a new hdd. so now i have 2. documents and programs on the one and music and movies on the new one.

i have just tried another soundcard, but its still the same problem.
    i have not installed anything new lately. it just decided to go funny and thats when i started trying new things. it was all funky for about 2 weeks before i really tried anything cos it got worse and a bit too unbarable.

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,

Download the free, Speccy http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html then run Speccy and click File > Save as Text File, then attach the log as per instructions below (note: as Speccy also now lists more data it likely will have your Windows licence serial key also in the log, so look for Operating System and under that Serial Number and delete the code and Save the log)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

6. Lady123

Lady123 Private E-2

ok cool. did that. now what?

Attached Files:

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Are you using the onboard audio chip or the pci card?? which would you prefer to use?? if it is the pci one then you must disable the onboard chip via the BIOS > enter the BIOS (f1/Del) and under the Advanced tab look for on board periferals and disable your onboard chip. DO NOT mess with any other settings in the bIOS !!.
    As soon as you have done that go to your device manager and update the Audio card that you want to use.

Is your machine a custom build or an OEM ?? if OEM can you give me the Make / Model and any service tags#, and the make of the pci sound card you are using.

Thanks.

8. Lady123

Lady123 Private E-2

already chose which one i wanted to use, but whether its the motherboard, or one of the 2 soundcards, the result is getting worse.

would you like me to upload a sound file?
    Maybe then you will understand my frustration.
    It is custom built, bought the things i wanted and put it together myself.

i was using a genius soundcard.
    had 2 different model cards, but both were genius makes.

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm far from a sound expert but I like my music too.;) What does youtube sound like? What if you download the video onto your harddrive and play it from there, what does it look/sound like? I'm trying to narrow down your problem to either hardware or software and I don't use iTunes.

10. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    seems as you do not wish to use the on-board audio you need to disable it in your BIOS .... look under the Advanced tab for Integrated Peripherals or On Board Devices and locate your Audio/Sound and set it to disabled.
    I cannot find a Win 7 64bit driver for the Genius Sound Card ?? are using the latest Vista 64bit ?? that could be where your problem lies, I have found a Vista driver that you could try......

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/GENIUS/Genius-Sound-Maker-Value-51-Vista64-Driver.shtml

uninstall the driver you have on your system through the device manager and delete any reference to the card in Programs then install the driver I have linked for you, see how it goes from there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds