sound problem with Compaq Presario sr2011wm

Discussion in 'Software' started by mmartinez, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

Hi -

I just got a Compaq Presario SR2011WM. It came with Windows Media Edition installed, but I wiped the hard drive and installed XP Pro SP2. Now the audio doesn't work. It says it does not see any sound devices.

I've googled for audio drivers without any luck.

Also Device Manager shows four devices as not working properly: PCI device, SM Bus controller, Unknown Device, and Video Controller. (although my video, and everything else except audio, is working fine.)

Any ideas?

Michael

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You will need to first install the Ati Chipset Drivers for the motherboard used in that Compaq PC, as these drivers will allow other devices to be see by the operating system ( hence one motherboad device as in SM Bus is not seen as yet ) and hopefully install the correct drivers from XPs build in driver database,

The Ati Intel Chipset Drivers
    http://ati.de/support/drivers/xp/integrated-xp.html

You may have ok video already as those will be the defualt XP drivers being used the package above will install the latest ATi drivers for video.

To double check the Audio device Compaq has installed, download this http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and once installed an run, post what it says under Computer > Summary > Multimedia entry.

as this could be one of two Realtek drivers used dependent on what the Multimedia entry says as the motherboard used is based on a ECS motherboard.

Also if you can post what Everest says the motherboard name and version is.

:)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  3. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

Okay, I'm downloading Everest and will post results here after I run it.

I booted Knoppix but it didn't give me much about the motherboard or audio. Basically just said it uses the Realtek ID 888 codec.

Michael

4. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

I went to the ati site you gave, but it doesn't let me download the software. It complains about my browser not giving it the http referer, but as far as I can tell my browser is configured okay.

mike

5. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

Motherboard: ATI RS400

6. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

Audio Adapter ATI SB450 - High Definition Audio Controller

7. DavidGP

Seems AMD / ATi have an anti leech block to links as it will need you to go to the site downloads http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and click in the box Windows XP Pro / Home > Integrated/Motherboard > Radeon Xpress 200 > Go

then under download link click Catalyst Software Suite

8. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

Okay, I did that. It helped with some of the devices that didn't have drivers. But I'm still left with a couple problems:

* Audio still doesn't work
    * Device manager shows "PCI Device" and "Unknown Device."

mike

9. DavidGP

10. mmartinez

mmartinez Private E-2

Awesome!

Audio works.

Left with one "yellow" device in Device Manager:
    Other Devices -Unknown Device

11. DavidGP

I may struggle now to get the last one, with not being infront of the PC to see what hardware is connected,

But try this, open Device Manager double click on the yellow ! marked device and click the Driver Tab, then click update driver > Click "yes this time only" and allow the wizard to search the internet for a device driver for this hardware item,

also post a screen shot of your Device Manager page, it may jog me to find what item is missing.. while I think of what it may be :)

12. DavidGP

Any luck with the last one yet?

13. gog427

gog427 Private E-2

thx for sound card help as well. may i ask you mmartinez what did you use for modem drivers?

i got a sr2011wm as well for my little one.

14. DavidGP

15. gog427

gog427 Private E-2

i tryed that and didnt work. it comes up as simple communation device.
    the is modem conxant model rd01 d850.
    i try to install rd01 d850 drivers but windows says its wrong one.

16. MrGordy

MrGordy Private E-2

Good Morning: Halo
    I be dam if I got the same problem with my kids pc. I figure how can you go wrong with a $400 pc and let me tell you this is the biggest piece of trash you can think of more problems then anything else.

My hard drive went out started to make big time noise until at quick working now the setup disk that HP send me doesnt work and Im tired of talking to them this is my second set of cd then send me and still doesnt work so Im going to install windows xp pro. My question is do you think I should do this or send the whole unit back to them if they would take it. Thanks Mr Gordy

P:S Do you think I can install windows xp and try to install the drivers?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds