Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldhenry, Jun 13, 2014.

1. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Hello
    I have had no sound for ages on my HP pavilion runs Vista SP 1.
    on the icon tray the speaker has a red cross by it and when you open the icon and look at sound mixer it say " no audio device installed". yet in control panel there are no conflicts and it says that the device is working. Well I have installed a Creative Sound Blaster on a USB to get round this and loaded the drivers.
    Result- nothing , not a sound. :cryI have tried headphones and my speakers. Very annoying. Anyone a clue what to try next? I believe the motherboard has the sound card as there is none that I could unplug as in older computers.
    I know it is 7 years old now but I like it and it does most things perfectly.
    Cheers

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Exact model? I like to look over the hardware specs and since there are tons of models, I can't begin to guess what you have.

Again, you fail to mention the exact model.

I did find your post from January which mentioned you have no sound on your 32 bit Vista SP1 computer and mentioned that you can't download SP2.
    Explain what happens when you try and download SP2.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468

Support for SP1 ended July 12, 2011 almost 3 years ago. So you are missing three years of patches and updates for your operating system.

3. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Hello
    Thanks
    Yes I did post as I had no sound and could not update to SP2. When I tried to download SP2 , after a very long session, the reply was that SP2 failed to load and it all unwound.
    I have a HP pavilion s7750 uk with an Intel 1.73GHz and 2 GB 32 bit OS.
    There has been no amendments to the computer hardware at all.
    I tried the Sound Blaster Play card on a USB stick as a last resort but that does not play either. That has a SN of YESB 1140 3500 007378 but I cannot see a model number.
    It is rather frustrating as I set the computer years's ago to auto download amendments. The MR Fixit stuff of Microsoft goes round in endless circles without actually doing anything that I can see.
    Any clues would be useful . Thanks.

4. plodr

Do you mean that you set Microsoft update to download the patches? Does that include drivers? I NEVER allow Microsoft to download any drivers. I got burned years ago by installing one of MS's hardware drivers and I lost the use of my NIC card. I rolled it back, figuring I did something wrong and installed the suggested driver again. Again I lost internet connection. That's when I decided to ignore hardware suggestions from MS.

I'm not sure if Fixit's work on an OS that is no longer supported.
    I do know that if you try and use MS update with Vista SP1, you will be told that there are no updates.

I'll now do some searching on your computer specs and see if I can figure out the sound blaster device too.

5. plodr

There are two audio drivers one from 2007 and listed under Original drivers and another from 2008 listed under Vista (which is 32 bit).
    Download both of them.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3355079#N414

Try the oldest one first, reboot and see if you have sound. If you do, do not install the newer driver.

Code:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-46267-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3355079&sw_lang=
    Code:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-58189-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3355079&sw_lang=

6. plodr

7. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

hello
    Thanks for the reply
    The Sound Blaster looks like the first one in the list. A simple plug in USB stick in fact. Yes, I did try a pair of earphones into the stick. The speakers are simple Diamond Audio speakers with a USB and a jack plug.

8. plodr

I have not been able to figure out if what you bought enhances the sound chip on the motherboard OR can be used as a replacement if the motherboard sound chip dies.
    If it can not be used as a replacement for a dead sound chip, then you will never get sound from the Sound Blaster Play device.

9. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Go to services (Run or Search Programs and Files , type in services.msc and hit return) and make sure the Windows Audio service is present, set to automatic, and started.

If this service is not running I don't think even an add on card can produce sound.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds