Sound trying to go threw modem????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pwc, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Pwc

Pwc Private E-2

He all, its Mitch w/ Pwc. I got a bit of a head scratcher here. We had a customer who brought in her pc for a virus spyware clean up, and everything was working fine b4 she brought it in. Then she phones me up and says taht there is no sound coming from the pc. So i look in the device manager and only see this "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio device."

so then i look in the sound and audio devices in control panel. there is no audio device then i go to the audio tab and see that the Defalt Device is set to Modem #0 Line playback. and the sound recording is Modem #0 Line Record. I then went to hardware and to the Unimodem device and checked the box that says do not map through this device.

There is still no audio device, the device manager does not have any "?" "!" or "x" in it. everything seems to be working in the device manager

The mobo type is a Foxconn 661m04-mx-6l

I tired looking it up but as i was in a bit of a rush i was unable to locate it. Even on the Foxconn website in the downloads section.

I also noticed on the mobo that it has the Realtek blue crab chip, saying that it has realtek audio. the chip says ACL655 so i try to google taht, got a driver installed it, nothing. then i tried the SiS one because it has the SiS chipset on the board, but it still did not work.

This one is really starting to get under my nails, and I want to fix it as soon as possible

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out

2. gmajic46

gmajic46 Private E-2

I had the same problem. Has anyone seen a modem line #2 in there in the sounds audio device. That has been getting installed as a device in the Audio tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices icon in Control panel. This has happened ever since I downloaded an MP3 converter program I'm not sure which program caused this to happen NCH (Switch) or Cocoon s/w; but whenever that gets loaded all my sounds are gone including the Windows Logon WAV. I managed to delete it from the Registry and force the system to load my AC 97 Realtek driver, then I get my sounds back. Now a new one has popped up Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device, this also inhibits all my audio sounds. I disable it and everything works fine. Do I need this device or can it be deleted?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds