Sound, Video and Game Controllers (Missing From Device Manager)

Discussion in 'Software' started by DJJarak, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

A few months ago my audio started cutting out. Restarting my media played seemed to help, but it didn't last. Upon rebooting my PC, the speaker icon on my taskbar appeared with an error mark. The red dot with the white X. I went to see what was wrong in Device Manager to find that Sound, Video and Game Controllers was missing. I tried reinstalling the audio driver, but as long as my computer doesn't recognize the device, the driver will not work. HELP! My laptop is an entertainment notebook and I can't even listen to music or the dialog of clips and movies.

FYI: My computer is an HP Pavilion dv9000 series notebook and runs on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I upgraded it from Windows Vista Home Premium and everything worked smoothly for almost a full year. That is, until now.

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's.
    Please Download the free, Speccy http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...s&txt=http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html then run Speccy and click File > Save as Text File, then attach the log as per instructions below (note: as Speccy also now lists more data it likely will have your Windows licence serial key also in the log, so look for Operating System and under that Serial Number and delete the code and Save the log)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

Have you tried doing a restore back to a point when your audio was working ??

iain.t:major

3. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

Done and done. Also, I'm having trouble with my DVD Rom. It appears in Device Manager, but under it's properties it claims to have 0 locations. The drive door will open before Windows loads, but not after. It's very strange.

Attached Files:

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Can you give me the exact model of your HP please... there are quite a few models in the DV900 series.....

See the label on the case
    The product and model numbers that identify the components in your notebook are printed on a Service Tag Label . This type of label has been affixed to the bottom of the notebook or under the notebook battery since the year 2000. The following sample shows you how to identify the information on the label.
    Sample A (Label on case)
    [​IMG]
    Item Name Example
    1 Model Number dv9095xx
    2 Product Number RQ877AS
    3 Product Name HP Pavilion dv9000

iain.t :major

5. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

Model Number: dv9820us
    Product Number: RQ877AS
    Product Name: HP Pavilion dv9700

6. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Ok lets try and get your sound back before we start on your dvd drive, I need you to go here... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3689897#N150 ...select Audio and download and run the Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver 2007-11-08 , Version:4.31.0.50 A, 14.72M ... follow the on screen prompts and when finished installing restart your machine for the changes to be recognised, you may also need to install the Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver if you do not have your sound back after the initial install, if so just follow the same instructions on the install process not forgetting to restart your machine .

let me know if you have sound ;)

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

The easiest way is to find hardware ids following this path : start - control panel - computer manager - device manager - right click to yelllow question mark devices - properties - details - scroll the menu finding hardware ids choice - select all - copy after that paste your devices code here one by one !! :wave

8. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

The problem with that is, HP Support won't live up to it's name where Windows 7 is involved. The only drivers it offers for my computer are Windows Vista drivers. I tried that last month. It won't install them.

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

10. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

11. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

12. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

Nope. I'm thinking it's an incompatibility between the OS and the device, not the OS and the driver. No driver will work as long as Windows 7 does not recognize the device. Err...

13. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Have you tried running the Hp driver in compatability mode ??.
    HP users are having big issues with this at the moment and I don't think that they (HP) are going to bring an updated win7 version of this driver,even though there is a lot of demand for this :(.
    I will keep looking to see if any one has found a solution to this ok.

just by the off chance try this one here...

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/con...ver_audio_conexant_os2009380a_tc70070400b.exe

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  14. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

This is a fix that quite a few HP users have confirmed works :
    use the sp35558 driver (http://www.64bitdrivers.com/driver.php?id=1375). run the exe file, and it will fail. then go to control panel > all control panel items > device manager. right click on the sound card (under other devices) and choose update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > sound, video and game controllers > have disk > browse > c:\swsetup\sp35558\cp6308Ba. there is the doomsday message about the unsigned driver breaking your computer, but install it anyway. it will be installed successfully, you will get a message about how you wern't supposed to install unsigned drivers, and how windows was going to stop all the new drivers, they will not be stopped but you will probably need to run a command in an elevated command promt : bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    run this command in an elevated command promt and restart. This should disable driver signature enforcement.

15. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

'Other Devices' isn't listed in Device Manager. This is what's listed...
    Batteries, Computer, Disk Drives, Display Adapters, Human Interface Devices, IDE ATA/ATAP Controllers, IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers, Keyboards, Mice And Other Pointing Devices, Monitors, Network Adapters, Processors, SD Host Adapters, System Devices, and Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

16. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

DJJarak , Start - run - type devmgmt.msc - ok - go to yellow question mark device - right click - properties - details - select Hardware ids from bar menu - select all - copy - paste all here !! :confused

17. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

The only item with the yellow mark is an unknown USB device. Not related to my sound device. The details value is USB\Unknown. Let me say this again. It's not, not working and there is no error mark. According to Windows 7, it does not exist at all on my computer.

18. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    As I said before this is quite a common issue with hp and win7 conexant drivers, all I can suggest is either return your OS back to Vista or buy an external sound card, as from what I have been told and read hp support will not be bringing a win7 version out, by all means you could contact hp support to request a version that will work with the new OS..... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...mpid=ex_r602_go/hholeftnav/pclc/support&lc=en

19. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

I would love to downgrade my notebook back to Vista, but it seems that HP Recovery is also missing. F11 doesn't work in Windows 7 and it isn't located under Disk Management either. I contacted HP and the rep said that the Windows 7 Advisor should told me that my notebook isn't compatible with Windows 7, but it didn't and being that my notebook is no longer under warranty, they won't be able to send me any discs. Am I screwed?

20. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

21. DJJarak

DJJarak Private E-2

As I stared earlier, part of the problem is that my CD/DVD Rom won't work either. The door will open before Windows loads, but once it loads, the device vanishes from Windows' eyes.

22. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Ok now to the cd/dvd rom this should be a simple fix for you to do .....

You need to remove the drive and power your machine up then turn it off and replace the drive in the reverse order.... It is very easy. All you have to do is remove any screws on the bottom of the computer that have one circle next to them (there is usually just one screw). Only remove the ones with one circle, because three circles is the hard drive, and two squares is the memory. Sometimes after you remove the screws there is still a release button near one of them, but not always. Usually after the screws are gone the drive will just slide right out.

let me know how you get on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds