Soundblaster Audigy Issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dreadnok, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Dreadnok

Dreadnok Private E-2

Hello,
    I am having a few problems playing certain games that I was able to play before I reformatted my hard drive. I have tried to narrow down the problem by making sure I have all the latest drivers for my sound card SB Audigy Gamer, my Vid Card Raedon 9700 Pro, Direct X etc. I have a P4 2.5ghz, 1028mb ram and running XP Pro. One of the games is Rise of Nations and I have downloaded the latest patch for that also.

I can play for about 10 minutes but then my computer freezes up, I get static out of the speakers, and sometimes my monitor will actually shut off. The other game that does this to me is the Ground Control 2 demo that I had installed off of the latest PC Gamer disc. I am not really sure what the problem is because I can play City of Heroes for hours and not have the same problem.

I can browse the web, play music on it and do everything else besides play these certain games. Rise of Nations worked before the formatt but I didnt have the Ground Control Demo at the time so not sure about that one. Fans are working fine on the case and the temp seems to stay around 25c according to the monitor so I don't think it is a heat issue either. Any ideas?

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you might try a different sound card or the integrated sound card on your mobo(if it has that) just to rule that out

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Do you have the latest mobo chipset drivers?
    Are you overclocking?
    What is your PSU rated at?
    Is the fan on your vid card working? Try getting a static-free can of air and blowing the dust out.

Try running MemTest86+ overnight.

IMO, most likely cause is that your vid card is overheating or your RAM is damaged. Could also be bad drivers (looks like you updated most of them), bad PSU (unlikely if it only occurs in games), or damaged CPU or mobo.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

when i fried my video card it would work for most games but wouldn't play others

5. Dreadnok

Dreadnok Private E-2

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Since most of the replies seemed to focus on the ram, I decided to remove each stick one by one and try to narrow that down. I think I did get it fixed after removing a 512mb stick of Corsair XMS2700 DDR memory. I will let it run and see how it does. Thanks for the ideas guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds