Sp2 for noobs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Loufier, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

If u have a firewall, antivirus, spyware products ext.. is Sp2 really nessary??. my friend says sp2 is for noobs only and u dont really need it otherise is this true?.. can ppl tell me wat they think of it.. cuz i realli dont know if i shld use it or not.. im using sp1 with all fix's atm.. thx

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Your friend is very INCORRECT!

Windows XP Service Pack 2 will be required as of April 12th. Im my opinion Service Pack 2 should be on EVERY machine that runs WindowsXP. It has several security features included, not to mention popup blocker, add-on manager and many more nice features.

I recommend WinXP SP2 for everyone running WindowsXP. Tell your friend he needs to study on software and todays world because if he thinks that SP2 is for noobs then he doesnt need to browse ;)

Also, I think you (and your friend) should see this article on How to Protect yourself from malware!

4. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

i use firefox.. im not soo stupid too use IE.. cuz thats the cause for most of the problems u get on ur comp, therfore the popup blocker is useless to me,. aswell as the security centre soo that kinda thing is useless too me., i just want to know if theres any performance or security benefits that dont include microsoft added bulk, my friend reckons that sp2 is just full of crap that u dont really need if u know what ur doing, the security centre being the main annoying thing on sp2.. ive used sp2 awhile ago.. without the updates that r out now.. and im still not sure.. but i kept on getting blue screens of death when using Nero and Alchoal 120 percent thus why im using sp1 now :)

With that link u showed me.. i use Avast!, Kerio, Firefox, Spybot - search and destroy, adaware, cwshreader, and hijackthis..

5. bjgarrick

Anyone in this forum will you tell you, Service Pack 2 needs to be on every machine running WinXP. What you cant see if what its doing behind the scenes. It has so many security features that you cant see. But, its your choice (until April 12th) to keep it or not.

Personally, I wouldnt browse the internet without Service Pack 2. Firefox is for sure the safest browser to use with all the holes in IE, however when IE 7.0 (Code name Rincon) releases, this will probable be better, but we will have to wait and see. For now, I recommend your downloading and keeping Service Pack 2 installed. As long as you have SP2, A Firewall, Updated Antivirus Software, and all of your Microsoft Updates you should be fine :)

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

SP2 goes way beyond just the security updates that you see, it introduces better wireless compatabiltiy, better memory managment etc plus a whole host of updates to the core programming of XP that you dont see BUT give will give better reliability.

Some of the updates to functionality that SP2 brings....
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

sadly its not SP2 thats full of crap as you put it..if you know what your doing then you should have SP2 installed sucessfully and then adjust the stuff you dont want as for the Security Center that can be turned off easily!

btw .... thanks for the morning laugh ;) and welcome to Majorgeeks :)

7. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

Things u canot see.. might include microsoft spy bots intergrated into their kernal sending them information.. aswell as secuirty holes.. whichll be fixed with a firewall..

AND HOW IS IT MEANT TO BE REQURIED AT APRIAL the 12th!!!!, ive heard crap like that like windows 98 wont work after a certain year.. tho its still being used.. i cant see any way they can make u use the newest patch. ther is nothing in sp1 whichll let them do such a thing.. and even if ther is, therll be someone wholl crack it.. but this aprial 14th thing sounds like a load of crap ive tweaked my windows soo it doesnt automaticly update or nething like that.. and i dont use their browser either!?!?!, how r they meant too inforce a stupid action like that!? :D

8. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

as for the person who said about this.. certain time..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

if u read it is THEIR mechanism of automatic updates... (mine autoupdater service is actully disabled.. totally i used a tweak :). soo i dont see anyway they can force it that way if thats wat u meant :D ).. soo ther is a choice.. u cant make it seem like u have no choice. u mustve mistaked wat they said on that page totally..

9. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

the temporary disable option will end in april you have to read closer

10. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

Tho i doubt that.. MINE ISNT JUST DISABLED THRU THE REGISTRY.. i REMOVED THE WIDNOWS UPDATE SERVICE ALL TOGETHER :), soo whats it going do then :p

11. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

main reason i HATE Sp2.. is cuz Nero no longer works.. with my comp.. i get a BAD_ERROR_POOL Blue screen of death .. the easiest way to fix it was not to use the stupid service pack at al
    u get a blue screen of death saying BAD_POOL_ERROR ... and if u look on the microsoft site its a hardware problem.. well ther was no hardware problem b4 sp2.. soo why not remove it :p, and use Sp1.. i read all the other forums on HOW TO FIX IT.. soo yeah i decided not to use it.. plus it seems like its full of useless crap.. and with that stupid "FORCEING UPDATEING" which isnt true.. i think some ppl read it wrong.. and even if it is true.. as i said.. i REMOVED that service totally.. theres no way it can force someone who knows how to remove that service.. in X-Setup theres something called 'DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATE" aswell :p and that ignoring registry setting is alod of crap :), but yeah just have to see on aprial the 14 :p

12. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

post back after april 14 im interested to see what happens, there is always a way around anything, what version of nero are you running

13. bjgarrick

With your AU updates off and not having SP2, Ill see you in the Spyware Specific forum in a few weeks. ;)

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is so much BS in this thread, that I'll just let you believe you don't need or want SP2...

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Wait till programs require it.

Whatcha going to do then? Not use the software?

;)

16. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I Heardddd That

17. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

The Newest.. and with sp2.. as i tried.. give me blue screens of death

BAD_POOL_DATA or some shit.. and i lose my pysical drivers whilese using a virtual drive MEH :( Sp2 just causes more stress then its worph... my firewall and avast anti virus system aswell as all the other protection shld make up where i dont have "secruity updates"... as for Spyware...

unless they get thru firefox, then past all the other lil programs ive used.. but i doubt it :)

18. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

not the greatest philosphy to have there my friend, to think you are invurnrable to threats is the first step to posting into the "spyware specific" forum here.

It still takes time for new theats to be identified and then updates for various anti-spyware/anti viris to filter out from developers.

As for the errors you will get with some programs, microsoft, I believe, gave a list of programs that might not function correctly after the installtion of SP2(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242 (but I should think that there are more)). Therefore developers will be coming up to speed and creating SP2 compatitable programs. No doubt soon that without SP2 you will get an error at some stage requesting something that was added in SP2

I guess its up to you. If you are having troubles with problems people here are usualy willing to help if you address them with respect, state the problem and give your system specs.

all the best

-Ciz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds