sp3 update for xp media center edition 2005

Discussion in 'Software' started by Davehome, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Davehome

Davehome Private E-2

Hi,
    Some time ago I tried to install the SP3 update on my XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    After considerable issues (including BSOD), it told me that it wasn't applicable to 'Media Center', so I cancelled the update. I'm wondering if anyone has had success, or has advice regarding this.
    Thank you!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try installing this downloadable version from HERE and if it doesnt install they try this info HERE

But tell us any information and messages if the install doesnt work, BSOD and any error messages can help troubleshoot this, do also follow the advice from the link above in disabling your Antivirus and security software when installing, plus make sure all your applications are upto date and your PC is malware free.

3. Davehome

Davehome Private E-2

Thankyou, I'm up and running on SP3 !!
    I was worried for awhile when the machine kept churning away for about 45 minutes at the "Finishing Installation / Performing Cleanup" stage. (confirming the rule of "... don't interfere with an installation unless it absolutely freezes".)
    Perhaps that was due to the multitude of KB971486 installations on it(??).
    Thanks, and have a wonderful 2010 !!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds