Space seems to be disappearing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Altephor, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Altephor

Altephor Private E-2

My laptop has a 60 gig HD.. and it seems like I run through space very quickly, and I think it might be temp files. Mainly I use my HD for torrents and games. I have about 8.5 gigs worth of torrents (movies) and about 8 gigs worth of games. But my C: drive reads 29/52 gigs left, and I can't figure out where the space is going to.

The other day I was d\ling a large torrent, about 5 gigs, and I stopped the download and hit remove both torrent and files, then cleared the recycle bin. Any chance it saved to a temp location or something that I don't know about?

2. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. bigbazza

You don't have to turn Sytem Restore off completely, just reduce the default 12% of your hard drive space, to 1-3%, by sliding the slide bar to the left.

You won't be able to keep as many restore points, of course, but I recommend that you make a weekly restore point, say every Sunday, and clean out the old ones, as long as your system is working OK.

Path is Start---> All Programs---> Accessories---> System Tools----> System Restore,

or create a shortcut that points to c:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

Hope this helps.
    Bazza

===

5. Altephor

Altephor Private E-2

Well I don't think it's a matter of cleaning up little files here and there, it was like all of sudden I was a missing an extra 5-6 gigs or so. Last time I checked my HD space I had about 37 gigs free, and I haven't installed anything major and now I have about 29 gigs.

6. bigbazza

Try this brilliant little free pie chart program, called Scanner.:)
    It will show you where all your space went. :cool:
    You can drill down through each ring.
    It works fast, as well.;)

http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/scn2.zip
    Bazza.

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds