Spam Emails From My Own Email

Discussion in 'Software' started by decemberfall, Jun 26, 2016.

1. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

I keep getting emails from my own email they appear to be from Brazil. (i've seen emails in my spam that are from a .br extension and look similar to this) This email account is just forwarded to my new email and not used to actually email anything, just for old accounts. I have changed the password on that account at least 10 times, the emails don't stop even after i change the password so i'm assuming it's cloned. Just want these emails to stop. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

gregzeng likes this.
  2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is there an "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the emails? If you unsubscribe, they have to honor that request and the emails will stop. It may take a few days though and you may still get emails from their "partners". You'll have to unsubscribe from each one.

3. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

The emails say they are from ME and arent in English they do not appear to be a subscription. There is one of the emails attached to the first post.

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

What machine are you using when you reset the password?

MaxTurner likes this.
  5. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

I have changed it both on my iPhone and Mac once before a reformat of the operating system due to a motherboard replacement and once after

6. dr.moriarty

Not the answer I'm looking for. Did you use your same machine to reset the password, or from another pc.... after the reformat? That is as direct as I can make the question.

MaxTurner likes this.
  7. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

Again I have changed the password numerous times, a couple times from my iPhone and a couple times from the same Mac, but the Mac was completely reformatted from the first time I changed the password on it until the last time.

8. dr.moriarty

:mad: I don't care about the Mac or the IPhone. What source did those gadgets get their (and the pc later) passwords reset from????

*Last time I'm asking.....Lady. And we don't do Mac operating system here.

You need to change the passwords first from a different pc than your original pc... then reset those gadgets from that newly formatted machine of yours!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    MaxTurner likes this.
  9. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

I have used nothing but apple products for 4 years, and I don't believe you are understanding the issue anyway so I will look for help elsewhere, thanks.

10. dr.moriarty

I understand that you synced from your original machine, used that to set up password to you mobile device, had your machine in the shop... From different MAC machine change your re-built machine's password; then use your reset MAC to then change the passwords on your Mobile devices.

I know what needs to be done, but we don't deal with MAC machines on this forum. My question still is... why wouldn't you give me a straight answer?????
    That type of personality doesn't play well, here.

o_O

MaxTurner likes this.
  11. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

I gave you an answer, and you got "mad" you did not read my original post that this email is FORWARDED there is no password to it in ANY of my machines. I was telling you that from safari on my Mac machines I changed the password on the hotmail website then forwarded the account again and logged out. No syncing and no pcs involved. I believe you made an assumption and then got angry because your assumption was wrong. I have had very good luck with this forum in years past with obscure problems but after this I assure you I will never be back. So I hope you have a great day and can go help some others.

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Please don't judge us all by one member.

Try doing this:

[​IMG] Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
    • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
    • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista,Seven,Eight or 10, right-mouse click it and select Run as Administrator.
    • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
    • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
    • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
    • Attach JRT.txt to your next message.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
    • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
      Vista/Windows 7/8 and 10 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
    • Click on the Scan button.
    • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
    • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) will open in Notepad for review (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
    • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
    • Attach the logfile to your next reply.
    • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

13. dr.moriarty

;)
    She was sent to Software from a thread in Malware - where she didn't run the tools in that thread either. I don't expect that our cleaning tools will work on a Macintosh system. But getting a straight answer is like pulling teeth.
    Mail was forwarded from her machine's original mail. That cycle needs to be broken by changing the password on her Mac; then use her reset Mac to reset the mails password that's synced to her mobile devices.. ..that chain needs to been broken, first. That ends the problem with receiving forwarded mail's account that has been spoofed.

MaxTurner likes this.
  14. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As I read it it was her hotmail account that was spoofed so the way to stop any more arriving would have to be to block the sender. For that she would probably need to establish the sender's true address. I have no idea how she would do that on a mac but it's easy enough in Thunderbird through View Source. Changing passwords is pointless in this situation.

15. dr.moriarty

But she will still need to re-sync to her desktop through which her mobile devices receive their mail/ forwarded mail from so to speak.. Correct? Doesn't she need to start there?

MaxTurner likes this.
  16. Earthling

I wouldn't think so. Ideally she needs to block the sender on the hotmail (Outlook.com) server if that's possible. If not, and if she wants this forwarded mail on her iPhone, she will have to find a way to block it there too. I don't think there would be any direct syncing of email between PC and iPhone.

17. dr.moriarty

:) I'm good with that! ( I have no regrets about fussing to get the info that we need, though)....and she still will need to do the same with her Mac.

MaxTurner likes this.
  18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Go to a public library or internet cafe, or a friend/relative with a PC/Laptop and change your password and security verification details for the mail account in question. That is, use a system that you have NEVER used before.
    You should have done that to start with, and from reading this thread you have never answered that question clearly.
    But saying you are going to cut your nose off just to spite your own face is just silly. It's your issue and not anyone's here.

dr.moriarty likes this.
  19. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is there a way to show full headers in Hotmail? That would show where the Spam originated and that sender could be blocked (but, she'll probably never read what was posted after her last reply).

20. dr.moriarty

[​IMG]
    Does anyone not get it now? That I'm a Full- Fledged Wizard in my own rights in Malware Removal with laptops and desktops, but I still step to play and help where I can? Hey, TimW --- still being that "kid in a candy store with software" and learning about mobile devices as you once referred to me?

Peace Out guys and "Thanks!' for backing me up!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    MaxTurner likes this.
  21. Earthling

Her old hotmail account has already been spoofed Max so no point in changing password again. Only answer is blocking the sender somehow.

22. dr.moriarty

I think that you're wrong Earthing with all due respect. The originating account needs to reset from a different machine that she has used before, to actually have an account to begin with, for her mobile devices.
    ;)

MaxTurner likes this.
  23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I agree 100% - the very first thing that should have been done is a complete password and security verification data change from a completely different system.

dr.moriarty likes this.
  24. Earthling

I'm not wrong at all dr m, you are not taking on board what the OP has told you in #11 -

this email is FORWARDED there is no password to it in ANY of my machines

These junk emails are arriving in her old hotmail account from a spoof address and being forwarded directly from there to her current email. There aren't any passwords involved in this at all.

25. dr.moriarty

;)
    There is, exiting because it's password hasn't being reset, either.
    Not the proper way, anyway!

You know that I will NOT argue with you. I'm here about mobile devices, which I not use. Ok?

dr.m

26. Earthling

It's a pity the OP has taken umbrage, I think we'd all like to know whether doing what you are recommending would do the trick. You are staff - can't you try to get her back aboard?

27. dr.moriarty

By telling she that was Not answering my direct questions, posed to her by me , anyway . I will not try again, anyway.

That's my nature, anyway. You feel me?

:D

28. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

Dr.m I answered your original questions as directly as possible (to be honest you did not tell me what you needed as clearly as you thought you were) I just don't think we are on the same page and yes I was sent over from malware where I was told it was a software problem and I needed to post it here. I didn't see anymore responses after that.

I am not forwarding any email to any machine. I am forwarding my hotmail directly to my gmail account and then logging into my gmail account on my Mac and iPhone.

Guys this is a simple spoofed email, it says it comes to me from me, I don't want to block my own email but just didn't know if there was a way to fix it and not just keep sending it to spam. I googled it and it's a very common hotmail problem. I've had the account since 1996 and just didn't want to ditch it over something annoying.

I will Reread and try suggestions when I get off work.

Also thank you earthling for letting me know there were more posts.

29. dr.moriarty

My question answered, earthing.
    :)

30. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

Just remembered something, this is my xbox live account, it has a security code that's emailed/texted to you in order to access the account

31. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

And password to the hotmail account has been changed via my work pc now

32. dr.moriarty

Your Mac needs the same done , now ..Change of Accounts' password!

33. dr.moriarty

o_O

Completed my "helping", Earthling!

34. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

Changed my gmail account password too from my work pc, will change my system password on my Mac when I get home

35. Earthling

She has now done everything you asked of her. We shall only know whether that was the answer if it stops the junk. :)

@OP - pls let us know how this goes.

36. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

well, i don't know if anything can be done to stop it, once spammers have your email address, they will always have it. even if you delete that email account, you might still receive spam where the 'from' address is your deleted old account. with spam, the from address is pretty meaningless since it is either made up or is taken from a list of email addresses that have been harvested.

i still get spam emails from myself. in the old days of the internet, before i knew better, i used to have my email address in plain text on my personal site. i changed that a long time ago, but once they have your email address, you just learn to ignore and delete.

over the years, there have been several odd things that i don't know what to do about, because i am not sure if anything can be done.

when i first bought a mac, i also got an apple id and email account. i don't use that email address except for some apple notifications, so i check it every few months. one time i looked and there was ticket confirmations for an international airplane flight for some one i never heard of. so you check bank statements, credit card statements, email settings, and everything was as it should be. some one just used my email address for ticket confirmations.

these last 2 months, i have been sending myself 'scanned images', with the implication that the scan to email function was used to send me an attachment. this email address is a purely forwarding address with no associated mailbox or web mail functionality. so some one is crafting spam with my email in both the to and from address, with an attachment, hoping i will open it. i just ignore and delete.

now something i have no idea what to do about... this has been going on for about 1 year now. the us postal service has email notifications for package tracking, so you can track where your package is and when it gets delivered. some one started using my email address for package tracking notifications. the real odd thing is that the package destination is to some where in the same zip code that i live in. again.... check bank statements, credit card statements, email settings, and i also have aggressive credit monitoring. and everything is fine. some one is just using my email address for the notifications. i contacted the security division of the us postal service about this, and never heard back from them. if these notices would include who shipped the package, i would just contact the company about the wrong email address being used, but the notices only include information about the package's journey. there is no information in these email notices about who shipped it or where it ends up. so... it's like... what do you do. it's just an email and the financial side of my life is clean... so... i don't know what to think. i've been getting these notices several times a month for about a year now. i'm sure mail fraud is involved some how, but there is no way for me to prove anything. what is mildly amusing is when this person ships stuff to themselves, since the post office in my zip code is both the point of origin and destination.

anyway, i know this does not help the original poster's problem. but misery loves company, so i thought i would share.

good luck with it!

37. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Harmless.....it sounds like you are getting malicious spam with attachments that probably are malware. Good that you don't click on the attachments and just send them to the trash.

38. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

Got home last night, changed password on my Mac, restarted logged back in and then relogged into my gmail account and...

At around 11 last night got another email, just marked it spam and went to bed...

Didn't fix it

39. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

Nope never ever click on anything that I wasn't expecting or didn't send myself

40. Earthling

I know that receiving junk emails supposedly from yourself is a fairly common problem but I've never actually experienced it myself, so a bit hampered here. As I said back in #14, blocking would be the only way to stop them but at that point I wasn't sure how you were reading your mail, i.e. in an email client or in a browser. Now we know it's a browser you could temporarily stop forwarding and check the hotmail account periodically. When you receive another of these emails select it, click the ... on the toolbar and click Create Rule. There are a number of ways there you might be able to filter these messages out and automatically delete or junk them. As you are currently forwarding you are probably familiar with rules.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  41. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Block the IP that these are coming from.
    1. Open one of the emails and on the right, aside of reply, click on the down arrow that stands for More Actions.
    2. Click on View Message Source which is close to the bottom of the choices.
    3. You get a popup box that shows the path this email takes to get to you. About halfway down through all the verbiage and right before the email message you will see X-Originating IP followed by a 4 digit IP. This is the IP you want to block.

4. After you copy the IP, you can close the popup box. Next click on the Gear icon (top right) and select Options.
    5. Scroll down to junk email and select the first item: Blocked Senders.
    6. See if the IP pastes into the box. I didn't realize it says sender or domain. In my other webmail addresses, I can block by IP.

If you can't paste the IP in, I'll edit my directions.

42. Earthling

The problem with blocking by IP is that many ISPs issue a new IP for each session, mine does for example. Using a rule it should be possible to be more accurate. That can be done in hotmail (Outlook.com) and/or in Gmail too I would think.

43. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My directions were for outlook.com because hotmail directs to outlook now.
    You start with this google link
    Code:
    https://www.hotmail.com/
    and it sends me to outlook.

44. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Pardon me if this has been answered/addressed...
    decemberfal
    Are you getting the emails from your email address or your name?

45. decemberfall

decemberfall Private E-2

@Eldon it says my name and email.

After reporting it Tuesday night I just saw one in my junk email.

46. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

As Earthling said in post #14, your email address has been spoofed. Have a look over here to 'block the emails from yourself'.
    http://email.about.com/od/Outlook.c...-a-Sender-by-Email-Address-in-Outlook-com.htm
    All those spam emails will automatically be discarded and save you the trouble of emptying the Junk folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds