speakers and headphones dont work HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steelerman, May 18, 2008.

1. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

hello i have a emachines computer and one day my speakers just stopped working they are plugged in correctly but the my computer says no audio device is detected can someone please give me step by step answers i dont have the CD or anything.

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The first step is to check your Device Manager
    Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
    Look for question marks or exclamation points.
    Double click on any errror you see and report back what it says

3. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

only one question mark and it says multimedia audio controller not installed and when i tried to reinstall it it says it cant find the necessary software.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

What is the make and model of your computer?
    Also what is your OS (XP? VISTA?)

5. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

it is an emachines XP

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

7. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

o ok its a desktop T3418

8. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

9. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

still have the same question mark after i have ran both.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The question mark means there isn't an installed driver. If you followed the installation instructions and have the right driver, then something is stopping it from installing.
    You didn't happen to backgrade form Vista to XP, did you?
    Have you checked your PC for malware?
    Did you install any new applications about the time the driver quit?

Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

11. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

heres my report

Attached Files:

12. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I agree with Musksnipe.
    Check the Windows Audio Service.

13. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

i checked it and it said auto and started.

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's not a full report. There should be more info about your CPU, motherboard, and chipset.
    Are you sure you clicked "Hardware related" pages?
    I need to see if there may be an app or another driver interfering with the install. A full report might show that.

Edit: also how about some answers to the questions I asked?

15. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

my bad here u go also no malware never had vista and dont remember installing any applications when it happened.

Attached Files:

• 2.txt
      File size:
      216.9 KB
      Views:
  16. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Also check if there is a "MS UAA driver" listed in your Device Manager.

17. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

dont see MS UAA driver

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Thanks for uploading the second report and answering those questions. Every tidbit of info helps.
    Unfortunately, there are not enough tidbits.
    Joelsz linked you to the right drivers at emachines.
    I don't see anything off hand in your report that would stop your driver from installing, unless it is your McAfee. Some AV apps will interfere with driver installs. Try reinstalling your audio, after disconnecting fom the internet and shutting down McAfee.

I looked at every review and spec sheet I could find on your machine, in the hope of seeing what driver is actually used, so that we could link you to a different download. All I found was AC'97 compliant 5.1 driver. (AC'97 compliant driver describes several different kinds like C-Media, Realtek, Sigametel, etc.)
    Gateway uses the same driver on some of their machines, but it is called HD audio in some of the reviews. I am wondering if it really is an HD driver and needs the MS UAA installed (which should be contained in the download) I don't have enough info to go on though.
    You might look in Device Manager under System Devices and see if there is the UAA Bus driver there or if there is an unknown PCI device listed in other devices. If it's there and also mis-installed. we should be able to fix your problem.
    I can only offer two suggestions, first, re-try installing your driver. Watch what is going on and look for any errors. If you see any, let us know.
    Second, look through Add/Remove programs and see if you see something that looks like an audio driver. If you're not familiar, with the different names of them, take a screen shot of your Add/Remove and post it here. We'll look at it for you. This way we will be able to look for a different download of a driver that will install for you.

19. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If this is a HD audio, you need MS UAA drivers.
    Microsoft does not offer this driver for public download.
    In http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111 it states that:

I am not certain if SP3 addresses this issue, perhaps someone else here can verify that.

Intel, on the other hand does offer a UAA.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con...D=1861&DwnldId=7525&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng

I am not recommending that you run this driver, I am simply mentioning it here so that other MGs can offer their opinions as to the advisability of installing this driver.

20. steelerman

steelerman Private E-2

tried reinstalling didnt work didnt see any drivers in add or remove dont know wats wrong.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds