Speccing out a new system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roy Mustang, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Roy Mustang

Roy Mustang Private E-2

I'm putting together a list of parts I'll need to upgrade my home computer. The motherboard I've chosen is the ASUS A8N5X. It supports up to 4GB PC3200 memory.

Basically I just need to know if I'm able to put four 512KB sticks of RAM on the board, assuming it's the same type of memory. My current computer uses PC3200 as well and I have two 512KB sticks in it. I wanted to try and get 2GB of RAM in my new system and if I can use the two I already have, it'll be a lot cheaper buying two new 512KB sticks than two 1GB sticks.

I could have just written ASUS a email but in the past they have taken quite a bit of time to reply so I figured I'd jump on here and ask.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Yes, you can. However, depending on which CPU you put in the board, the RAM could be locked at PC2700 and would nto run to the full PC3200 speed when using all 4x 512MB sticks. I believe it has to do with the memory controller on the CPU, so keep that in mind before purchasing a CPU and make sure you get one with the newer cores that wont do that (look for venice or san diego cores)

3. Roy Mustang

Roy Mustang Private E-2

The hardware I have picked out is as follows.

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000DAA5BN

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400C3

The memory is the exact same model and brand that I currently have in my system. I noticed in your post that you said a CPU with a San Diego core would work and as it happens that was exactly the type of CPU I had already picked out.

I know this won't be a cutting edge system but the upgrades I have planned(which include a new power supply with a 24-pin connector for the MB) are going to cost around $315.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds