Specific keyboard(s) stopped working

Discussion in 'Software' started by bleepbleepcomp, Jul 29, 2013.

1. bleepbleepcomp

bleepbleepcomp Private E-2

My keyboard randomly started to freak out the other day. Originally I thought it was mouse related due to the webpage (Reddit) I was on was just zooming in so big that I couldn't read anything. It stopped doing that, and then I woke up to it acting like a key was pressed down. In particular, I looked at the calendar and it was zooming past the months. The keyboard also doesn't work at boot up, and has num lock enabled at boot for what it's worth. I actually have two of these keyboards (Microsoft Ergonomic 4000) and neither of them will work now. The one hadn't even been used yet. They both light up, and I've tried them on a ps/2 converter without luck. I'm now using a different USB keyboard that works both in USB and ps/2. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the software for it multiple times now and still cannot get it to work.

I did notice this oddity under devices and printers. It is showing the mouse as a keyboard in the picture and lists it as keyboard;mouse. The mouse I have is a gaming mouse with multiple buttons on the side, so maybe it makes sense, but I've included a picture of what I'm talking about. I've also tried uninstalling the mouse but the keyboard still won't work.

Attached Files:

• odd.jpg
      odd.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Uninstall any Microsoft Keyboard software if its installed in Add/Remove (could be called Mouse and Keyboard Centre) and then with only your Ergo 4000 plugged in, enter Device Manager and then look for any drivers for this listed, could be one listed in Keyboard branch and one in Human Interface Devices, right click and Uninstall both*

Then unplug the Ergo 4000 and shutdown

*although uninstalling one may removed the other automatically*

Then plug in your different keyboard that's working and reboot, once booed, unplug the current connected keyboard and plug in your Ergo 4000 and fingers X'd the drivers should load up again and if any software is needed, you should be prompted.

3. bleepbleepcomp

I gave up on this issue soon after I tried your suggestion, David. Eight months later and I still cannot fix it. The keyboard is detected, drivers do get installed, it is visible in devices and printers. I've checked the bios to see if legacy support is enabled; it is. I tried uninstalling a previous windows update as suggested elsewhere but no luck. I really don't know what it could be and every time I think about it or try to fix it, it drives me nuts. I'd really rather be using my ergo than any flat keyboard.

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Could it need a cleaning, I know mine is about due. Takes about an hour, keep you camera handy and do not turn the key board right side up the will fall out that takes 30 min to get squared away!!!

5. bleepbleepcomp

Well, as I said, I have two of these keyboards, one of which has never been used (just tested as a replacement when the original one stopped working) so I doubt that.

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Turn it upside down and give it couple of good taps, never can tell if something got in amongst the keys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds