SpeedFan vs. SIW temperature readings

Discussion in 'Software' started by cwf, Apr 19, 2008.

1. cwf

cwf Private E-2

SpeedFan gives the temp readings for my Dell XPS M1530 as follows:

HDD: 32C
    Core1: 40C
    Core2: 40C

SIW gives the same temps as follows:

HDD: 32C
    Core1: 55C
    Core2: 55C

Which program is more accurate, and what could possibly be the reason for different CPU temp readings?

2. cwf

cwf Private E-2

bump

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The best way to find out which is more accurate would be to reboot the PC and go into the BIOS and check the hardware monitor/PC health and see what it reports. To be honest, I have never been a fan of SpeedFan for this very reason. On one PC it would jump around dramatically from 35c to 87c to -21c to 438c.... I'm not exagerrating! It was ridiculous. I tried PCWizard and HWMonitor on the same PC, and both had stable readings that were pretty colse to each other; within about 2-3 degrees. It could have been that SpeedFan simply didn't have that particular motherboard/sensor it its database or whatever. Anyway- try HWMonitor and PCWizard, and check your BIOS. It could be that SIW is reading the CPU temp and SpeedFan is reading the system temp, or vice-versa.
    PCWizard http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3846.html
    HWMonitor http://www.majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html

I hope this helps!

4. cwf

cwf Private E-2

I tested with HWMonitor and Core Temp to verify SIW's accuracy, then found a calibration/offset entry within SpeedFan. All good now!

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:D Glad to hear it! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds