Speeding up a dialup connection - Do programs. . .

Discussion in 'Software' started by chux, Jun 30, 2003.

1. chux

chux Private E-2

such as CyberTweaks DialupXP work? I live waaaaaaay out in the boonies and would like to add a little speed to things. Those of you w/ experience please tell me about the pros and cons of these programs.

I've seen services offered as a monthly thing that claim to speed your dialup service to DSL speed also. Any comments on these would be appreciated too. Thanks.

2. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

never seen one do much. most just cache stuff for you so you dont have to dl it over and over. some tweak settings that you could on your own

3. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

and the services that claim to speed it up to like 256k are ful of crap. What they install is a special program that resides between your TCP/IP stack and their server. IT further compresses pictures and such on websites, so you end up with crappy looking pictures and you download speed isn't really faster, it just seems that way.

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

I agree with robo. About a year ago I have tweaked my dial-up settings with Easy MTU (freeware) and I believe it is optimized now and have no intention of trying anything else.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Im with FW190 & Robo on this.. i'm on dialup ATM and they are a load of crap!

as said their are many variables, which the main ones are

Your actual phoneline it may not be a clean line and by that I mean most are good enough for speach but data they loose packets by the case load if they are not sending data cleanly... you can speak to your Telecoms company and ask them to try and adjust the line gain ( most will say I cannot be done but thats only cos they be bothered to try )

The distance from your phone jack to your PC.. the greater the distance the more degradation the signal gets PLUS how many phones you have plugged into the system wont help.

Drivers are they the latest ones.

plus there are some tweaks for the registry that change the way XP accepts packet data and thats all most of these programs do.

There is NO way that you are going to get DSL or Cable speeds with a DUN modem no matter how good the hype.

6. chux

chux Private E-2

Thanks for the good info folks! I may be back asking specific questions about just what and how to tweak later. Since I just got done burying my old tractor in a field and tearing the transmission up in the process, it doesn't look like I have as much spare time anyway. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds