Speedup Windows startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by ryansiu, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ryansiu

ryansiu Private E-2

Hi could anyone give me some tips to help me speed up my boot time?

2. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

well assuming you are spyware/malware/virus free, msconfig seems to work out ok.

if you click start, run then type msconfig and press enter you are there. there is a tab that says start up and that is where you can select what loads up when you boot up. it's nice because you can disable stuff like realplayer and quicktime and stuff like that from starting up when you boot into windows.

this is also assuming you are using XP, as i do not know if this works for other Microsoft OS'.

hope that helps a bit

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

You can edit the boot.ini file (in Win2K anyway). Under [boot loader] there's a line that reads "timeout=30". This is the number of seconds of delay before bootup starts. I changed mine to 10 seconds. You could probably go even less.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What OS are you using? XP Pro, 2000, ME, 98SE, or what? System specs would help to provide various methods of attack. Bazza

===

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

This is typical for multiple boot options only. Like, if you have windows 2k/xp and 2k/xp recovery or some other OS.

If only one OS is installed, this portion does not affect anything.

As BigBazza states, we really need to know what OS we are dealing with.

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That timeout is the time to display a list of operating systems.

As stated, it's only valid for multiple operating systems.

7. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

If you haven't already cut some of your services try Black Viper

If there is only one account you can try this.
    1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type:control userpasswords2

then click OK.
    3. In the dialog box that appears,
    You'll see: "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box.
    Enabled will require users to logon, disabling will make XP automatically logon to the Administrator account.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did you read anything that anyone else posted? We DO NOT KNOW the OS in question.

This would be useless if this was any 9x (95/98/ME) type of OS.

Typically, a good defrag will fix this. Typically......

9. Feriol

Feriol Private E-2

msconfig works in 98 and ME. not sure about 95

i think when i used 95 i used to use a program called tweakui from windows power toys to change startup settings and programs.

I Dont know if there is a version for newer windows, but i heard about powertoys for XP.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes Feriol you are correct the newer MS Powertoys does indeed include the updated TweakUI ( only runs on XP and not the 9x OS's ) and this can help adjust some settings.

IF ryansiu is using/talking about the same PC he had a resolved virus problem with in the SW forum then he/she is using XP SP2, so both re-checking for malware/spyware/virii and looking through the Services Guide and BV both help to keep your PC in good running order.

Things to try as theefool said, Defrag is a big help... Check Startups as alot of them are not needed eg. Printer, QuickTime and other software apart from the OS , AV & antispyware looking for updates just slow things down.

@ryansiu ~ a good tip is to include all info like OS and specs when posting as it saves time and multiple questions on what OS you are using as their could be different methods of resolving your issue depending on OS, this is good guide to what info helps to quickly resolve your PC problems.... Before You Post Asking For Help, Please Read This

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds