Spikes in CPU usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by cindyw9, Jan 10, 2010.

1. cindyw9

cindyw9 Private E-2

Hi everyone.

I am posting about a concern in CPU usage. When running wmp it becomes garbled because I am assuming excessive CPU usage. I see the spikes happening but they stop so quickly that I cannot see what process is causing it.

I can only have only one browser window open and the wmp playing and it still gets garbled.

I have AVG on my computer which gets regularly updated. It runs scans daily and has not come up with anything. I run Ccleaner once a week.

Any suggestions as to what to check would be appreciated.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Cindy, (My sister's name also)
    Many times these spikes are caused by other programs running in the background. You said you have AVG, Has either Symantec's Norton or Mcaffee anti virus programs ever been on this machine? If yes, has the special removal tool been run, on the bottom of this page?
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

I find one of these on almost every machine I work on and, esp. norton, it's updater sometimes is causing these spikes. If uncertain, run both, no harm can come.

Then go to Ccleaner tools, click the startup button and take a picture of what is starting up. But do not use ccleaner to manage your programs. If needed, I can show you that later.

Also, what is your OS and how much RAM do you have? Any more details you can provide may be helpful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds