spilled liquid on laptop keyboard - troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zygomorph, May 3, 2009.

1. zygomorph

zygomorph Private E-2

I spilled a small amount of liquid on my THinkpad keyboard. Fortunately it wasn't enough to get into/damage the guts of the computer (it happened yesterday and everything is fine) BUT now a few keys don't work. (I'm using a USB keyboard.)

Before I order a replacement keyboard...is there anything I can try? I assume it's probably a fried circuit somewhere, which as far as I know I can't fix, but I figured I'd ask for ideas just in case there's something I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

2. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

This happened to me more than once. On one occasion, I let the keyboard dry out and the functionality returned. I.e. take a few days before ordering a new keyboard. Also if it is cola cleaning around the key is a good option as sometimes the key just gets gummed. If the keyboard does not work anyway... That said it is probably fried.

3. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Some keyboards you can pop the keys out (mine you can [Toshiba Tecra A8]) ... perhaps pop the affected keys out and try to clean them up a bit.

4. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

yeah but make sure you can pop out the keys first. I have broken a keyboard popping the non-poppable.

5. silas

silas MajorGeek

Yeah I ve taken flat screw driver and popped em out. Also I took q tips and cleaned it out.

6. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Still hasn't worked?

7. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Yeah thats a good tip. I used cotton buds with the cotton pulled down and moistened *not a genius idea* to clean under the keys. Worked a treat.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds