Split System?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Getalinks, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Getalinks

Getalinks Private E-2

Hi all,

I was wondering something.

I have a extensive computer which operates a large assembly machine. I have the computer built into a large cabinet which includes the monitor, keyboard, CPU and mouse.

I would like to be able to attach a second monitor, keyboard and mouse about 25 feet away and be able to use it on the same computer. So, the computer, when all is said and done, will have 2 keyboards, 2 mice and two monitors.

What I need to know is how and is this something that can be accomplished? How can I have the computer recognize the two keyboards, mice and monitors and allow them to both be used.

My only concern is how to make it so when one keyboard or mouse is in use, the other cannot be so two people can't mess each other up.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to anyone's assistance.

2. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No, a KVM switch is not the solution. A KVM switch is to attach one mouse, one keyboard and one display to two computers. The OP wants to attach two mice, two keyboards and two displays to one computer.

4. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Ahh, my bad. me be bassackwards.....

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well most Video Cards will support 2 Displays and I know I can have a mouse plugged in at the back as well as my wireless USB Keyboard/mouse plugged in and both will work, so I am assuming that will be the same for the Keyboard. Only problem I can note is the distance. If you can get a wireless USB with a 25' setup and a 25' monitor lead I believe they should all be able to work, frankly I think you will still need these cables to be ~25'.

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If you have another PC just run a remote session to the controller.
    Remote desktop or VNC.

8. Getalinks

Getalinks Private E-2

lcsmith39 and lbmest: I don't want to go the route of a KVM switch. I would prefer to have the computers be working at the same time and like plodr said, I don't think that would even do what I'm trying to do.

Bold Eagle: Anymore info you can give me on this? I might have to go this route if there's no other solution.

lbmest: In response to your response to BE, huh?

foogoo: I really don't want to do that because if the computer ever has to shut down then the operator would have to restart a remote session. They don't have access to the CPU, just the keyboard and external accessories. I think having to restart the RS each time would be a hassle. Any other thoughts?

Everyone, thank you for coming up with these great ideas. If you can give me anymore info on something that would work perfectly, i would appreciate it. Money isn't a object if it makes the system work correctly.

Thanks.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

How about you provide some system specs and maybe we can work on a solution.

What Motherboard and Video Card do you have?

10. Getalinks

Getalinks Private E-2

As of right now there aren't any specs. We're building the computer from the ground up. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

12. Getalinks

Getalinks Private E-2

Only one user will be using the system most of the time. I'm sure times will arise when there will be an assistant on the line helping out, but overall one should be it.

In response to your two options, I wouldn't want to go with the ncomputing one solely due to the fact this system will be used on many manufacturing systems in the future and I don't want a third party company to be involved with them all. Something we can utilize and attach, install or combine that can be purchased continuously would be best. I hope that made sense.

Thanks for your continued help with this one. :)

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

If you want more then one user on a machine, you need some sort of terminal server setup or more then one machine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds