spoolsv.exe "Crashing" (Freezing) Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Feb 12, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Judging by a quick peek at the search results, it appears I may have more problems than I think (fear).

Please see attached below - every date that this happens lists: "spoolsv.exe 6.0.6002.18005 Stopped Working" ~ as either THE problem, or a part of the problem (?).

Also, I think it may be related to "Longstanding Printer Problems" http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=190735 ... I have NEVER been able to get a printer to work on this (Vista Home) machine. Never.

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

You never did resolve the printer issue as you never did get back to me in that thread, we where at a virtually clean point in which spooler service was working as you mentioned! Time goes by and i know real life crops up, but you need to try and resolve one issue at a time and not get side tracked as you will gave a nightmare fixing your pc.

You may need to revisit that thread and do all the steps again then post in that thread where you are upto, unless someone takes this thread onboard, but running multiple threads on same/similar issue will only get mixed steps to run.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David - thank you - I looked at the thread, but was lost...didn't know what to do (next?) as so much time had/has lapsed.

I've basically given-up (for now) on trying to get a printer to work on this machine, as the problem with spoolsv.exe is much more problematic (and/or, if they are the same problem, then I am doubly-confused).

I will do as you suggest, and go through that process again.

Off the top of my head, what was accomplished there was that we got the "New Hardware Found" prompts to stop (which were doubled - even triple at one point I believe!).

I will work through that entire thread again.

Thanks as always...

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go to the printer manufacturer's site and see if they have email support (that is generally free no matter how old the hardware is). See if they can link you to a cleanup tool to remove all the failed attempts and partials installs.

Before attempting to do anything else with the printer, you need to clean off all the old files related to it. You can not do this manually, that's why tech support is needed to either point you to a cleanup tool or email you the file as an attachment.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you plodr. In this case, I will need to visit at least three different sites, as I've attempted (over two years time) to install two different Dell printers, a Lexmark, and an HP...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds