SPOOLSV.EXE Faulting Application Problem...

Discussion in 'Software' started by luten1, Dec 8, 2006.

1. luten1

luten1 Private E-2

Dear Geeks,

I am pulling my hair out.
    Win Server 2k3 Std. SP1. Database server running Prolog 7.5 (by Meridian), Terminal Server, and it is the company's primary Printing Server.

Normal maintenance and restart of the server resulted in this error with the Printing Spooler.
    It will not stay on.
    I can reset the Service, disabled DEP, Virus Check, and tried dumping my C:\windows\system32\spool\printers directory.

To no avail.

Someone mentioned Hijack This and run a log.

Here is the Log of Hijack this -
    It looks normal to me...

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Luten

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Majorgeeks!

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with malware. In addition even if it did, HijackThis is not going to tell you very much. Most people are under the very mistaken misconception that HijackThis is a scanning/removal tool. It is not! HijackThis is simply a tool that is used to identify browser hijackers and in some cases it will show entries for some malware that is for instance running at startup. All it does is list a few of the thousands of registry keys that exist, and it makes no inferences to whether anything being shown is good or bad. That decision is left a person with significant Windows and malware cleaning experience. HijackThis does not come close to showing all malware that could be hiding on a PC. Anyone who has an infected computer and is relying on HijackThis without the benefit of running other scans such as Spybot, Windows Defender, BitDefender & Panda, CCleaner, etc. are more than likely still infected. In most cases, where there is one virus/trojan there are more. The goal of this forum is to remove all malware, and this cannot be done properly by just seeing a HijackThis log.

I'm going to move this to the Software Forum. If at a later time, you really feel you have malware problem, we can move it back (you can just PM me or any mod or admin to do so).

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

At this point, I would be checking the event logs for further information! In case you don't know, here's how:

1. Right-click 'My Computer'
    2. Select 'Manage'
    3. In the 'Computer Management' window, expand 'Event Viewer'

Check the system (and application) logs for errors (red x's) and warnings (yellow exclamation marks). Post back with the event ID number, the source, and the description text.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds