Sporadic Keyboard and Synaptics After Malware Removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by LandM, Mar 31, 2009.

1. LandM

LandM Private E-2

Good afternoon, I have an issue that I have ran into that I can't seem to resolve. The pc is a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop with Win XP SP2 installed, and I will list events to the best of my memory. First this is my niece's pc and was originally asked to repair the dc power jack on it. Once done with that I booted the pc and instantly knew it had a (several) virus on it. I tried doing a Trend Micro online scan but was unsuccessful, but did download the scanner and removed several viruses. I also used Bit Defender, Avast, and Moonav. I have removed all of the viruses, and the system checked clean. Then I ran Malwarebyte and it came up with a few more issues which was successfully resolved. I also am running Spybot Search and Destroy and there appears to be nothing causing problems.

Now I have a new issue. About every other time that the pc boots the keyboard will only function till windows is finished loading and the touchpad won't function. The other time the system boots and both keyboard and touchpad work normally. I deleted all of the touchpad drivers and tried re-installing the latest Synaptics drivers and it didn't make a difference. In the control panel hardware device manager it shows the touchpad as a ps/2 mouse with a yellow exclamation mark instead of the Synaptics pad. It gives an error code of Code 10 Device failed to start. Thinking it was a hard drive issue, i renamed all of the driver files to .bak, thus leaving them in place, and reinstalled the new drivers. I then did a disk scan and defrag thinking it might be a read error, but all came back ok.

Then I removed all hotfixes, all security updates, and then removed SP2, but so far nothing appears to have helped.

I need help resolving this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have moved your thread to the software forum as this in not a malware issue, but more likely a software / driver issue.

3. LandM

LandM Private E-2

OK I have some new information about the keyboard and touch pad. I have discovered that if I continiously press the caps lock button off and on during boot cycle the keyboard and touch pad will work every time Windows boots. But if I fail to do so, about every other boot they will not work. This all happened after removing many viruses and spyware from the system, so I have to believe it is somehow malware related. Still perplexed :(

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to look in the BIOS and see what settings are there for your keyboard and touchpad.

On a desktop recently, I discovered that after windows loaded I had no keyboard and the mouse froze. Then I noticed that the caps lock light was on. Every time I made sure it was off before windows loaded, my keyboard and mouse worked in windows. Then I had a look in the BIOS and it was set to have cap locls on at bootup. That was the source of all my problems. I set it for caps lock off and the problem disappeared.

5. LandM

LandM Private E-2

OK, the laptop normally boots with caps off and if I do nothing while booting it boots to Windows with the caps lock light off. But, then I have no keyboard or touch pad. I don't understand why cycling it off and on during boot would cause the problem to disappear. The touch pad and keyboard worked fine during the malware/virus removal, only after the system was clean did I start to notice the issue. Thank you for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds