Spy Sweeper failed to update definitions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lizzie01, May 31, 2011.

1. Lizzie01

Lizzie01 Private E-2

Hi... my Spy Sweeper antivirus software, version 6.1.0.145 has been failing to get program updates. I am using Windows XP professional and have my firewall turned off to see if it was blocking intranet access for the updates. But to now avail.

This has been going on for months now. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd really appreciate your help. Thank you.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Spy Sweeper is an anti-spyware app, unless you are using Webroot AV w/spy sweeper. My suggestion would be to try uninstalling it and after running CCLeaner, reinstall it. See if it will then update.

Are you having any other issues, which could indicate malware?

3. Lizzie01

Lizzie01 Private E-2

Yes, sorry I am using Webroot anti spyware software. Thank you for the CCLean tip. I did run it. Next I unistalled my anti spyware software - Spy Sweeper. I inadvertently ended up purchasing a new version of Spy Sweeper on line - long story as to why ... but it was the right move. Now everything is working well. I am able to update my definitions successfully.

All Good except now I am continually now seeing notifications that Spy Sweeper is blocking access to bad websites such as 8AD.com, ZSearch.org, ADGate.info, MalWarebot.com, WalWareremovalbot.com ... it's on-going.

Do I need to take any additional steps or should I just let SpySweeper do it's thing?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can just let spysweeper do it's thing, or you can start adding the sites to your hosts file to continue to block them. What are you using for a firewall?

5. Lizzie01

Lizzie01 Private E-2

Hello,

Yes, I was reading that eventually the Spy Sweeper notifications dissipate. And of this morning they have settled down. Thank goodness.

I'm using Windows Firewall.

My home office is interconnected with a Broadband BPN Router w/Dir-130 DLink (3 Work Stations) As I understand it - this also provides some firewall protection. Is this true?

Our intranet access comes to 2 work stations via wireless connection from the main station which has an attached DLink DWL-2100 AP wireless access point to the main router.

Does this sound secure and good? Thanks a million for your help! Everything seems to be operating smoothly and normal today.

Do you suspect it was malware that was blocking my Spy Sweeper from getting updates at the end of the day? Curious?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds