Spybot 1.3 beta 6 to 1.3rc

Discussion in 'Software' started by pompste, Apr 15, 2004.

1. pompste

pompste Private First Class

Hi,i am currently running spybot 1.3 beta 6. Tried update button on 1.3 beta 6 since i heard 1.3rc is available---states "no new updates available"--why?
    If i have to uninstall 1.3 beta 6 before installing 1.3rc,how do you unimmunize first?
    Thank you to any responders

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Download it here.

I just got through installing it over the top of 1.3 b6, no problem at all, YMMV.

3. billH

billH Master Sergeant

yeah me too. Just downloaded over the top of existing SpyBot with no problems. Picked up all my settings just fine. I did hit immunize and it had five new items to immunize against.

4. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Hey, pomp, all you have to do is open the old version, click File in the menu bar, and click Uninstall. The flyout shd say sthg about "partial uninstall" and "Remove all Spybot entries from the registry." A click on that will clean out the old reg settings, and then you can install the new beta without any additional uninstallation and without any concerns about conflicts or messed up settings. Or you can do the "Remove entries" click first, then uninstall with Add-Remove Programs. Then install the new RC3.

Alan and bill report that they installed RC3 on top of the latest beta with no probs. That's reliable evidence from savvy members.

BUT (and this is a big BUTT) ...If you have a NON-beta installed, though (1.2, probably), I'd say download the new beta, then go for the "Remove entries" thing, then uninstall 1.2 with Add-Remove, and then immediately install the new beta and set it up and run it right away, so you're not missing out on the valuable protection it affords.

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Teacup???

In the system tray I've got what looks like a little XP window with a padlock in front at the lower left corner.

I noticed the executable and process are named "TeaTimer" but no teacup here :confused:

Maybe you're on the wrong side of the world, Cowboy!!! :D

6. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Not to worry alan :) I have the padlock and XP window also, means both protectons are running. Maybe Bill Gates doesn't like tea ;)

Edit: Robo, real men drink Texas Tea (Black Gold, Millionaires, Swimmin' Pools, Don't ya know) oops, sorry, Beverly Hillbillies flashback ;)

7. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

I think for now, I am going to stick to 1.2 as I did have the beta and it brought up and error window all the time I tried to run it, so I uninstalled it and went back to 1.2 and if I run the update on it, it says there is none. So the Beta from 1.2 is a full install I guess. :rolleyes:

8. Wisewiz

Umm, I THINK that's what I SAID way back up there. It's never a good idea to just overwrite a standard release version with a beta version in an attempt to update. Get rid of the standard release and then install your first member of the beta stream, and from there on (as reported here) you shd have no probs upgrading a BETA with ANOTHER beta in the same series.

It's the upgrade-jump from 1.2 (standard) to BETA RC3 that promises to give you headaches, so avoid that jump. OUT, then in.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Spybot latest release

Downloaded and installed the latest version over the top of previous version with no problem but it is a real resource hog on my PC. Cleans out the balance of resources entirely and low resource message pops up. Never happened to me before. Think I may go back to the previous version.. W98SE, 288mb ram, 30 gig harddrive, AOL UK v7.0.

Even when logged off the net and run Spybot it sucks out the resouces. Baz

10. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Yeah, I just disabled teatimer too. The drop in CPU and Memory Usage in Task Manager was clearly noticeable.

11. billH

billH Master Sergeant

yep boys :) Ten-Four on disable the resident. I'm only running 256 megs of ram (at the moment, soon to be changed to 512) and a 30 meg bite is quite a bit to take. I agree with the Cowpoke, until Javacool spruces the teacup up, (which I'm sure they will) no resident on boot for me.

12. billH

billH Master Sergeant

You know . . . I knew that too and still posted the mistake :rolleyes: Oh well . . .

13. bigbazza

Resource hog (more)

DV8 Cowboy and xflat. I did a bit more research on my laptop. Win98SE, 288mb Ram

New version of Spybot uses 34% of System, 14% of User and 46% of GDI resources according to M$ c:\windows\rsrcmtr.exe icon on my desktop. AdAware uses 20% of System, 6% of User and 20% of GDI. PestPatrol uses 20% of System, 14% of User and 20% of GDI.

...................................................System............ User..............GDI
    Put simply........Spybot (latest)........... 34................14 ................46
    .......................AdAware.....................20..................6.................20
    .......................Pest Patrol..................22................14.................22

(tried to align these in columns for easier reading, not sure how it will appear when posted although preview post looks OK when I added the dots)

Spybot uses nearly as much System and GDI as the other 2 combined. Don't know whether you can compare on this basis but that is how it is on my PC.:p

Used to be able to play Freecell whilst waiting for these 3 to do their thing. No longer, "Out of memory" comes up. I know it refers to resources not RAM. Still have 61% of Ram free.

Hope "they" do something about "it" soon as I like Spybot S&D. Baz

=========================

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  14. Wisewiz

Now that I've read all of this info, I've decided to stick with the mainstream version 1.2. At first this Beta RC's features looked so superior that I thot I'd jump from the standard to the Beta, but the resource prob seems significant and the gain insignificant if you shut down the resident function -- it's the same Spybot S & D when you just run it on demand.

BUT I was thinking, instead of just grousing around among ourselves, some of us should be dropping Patrick a friendly, non-attacking, appreciative (for the fine program that has helped us all in the past) note that says something like

"Spybot is one of my favorite anti-spyware programs, and I've never hesitated to recommend it, but the latest BETA raises new concerns about resource consumption, and I sincerely hope you'll address those concerns before the RC becomes the release version. Thanks for the great work on a terrific program."

Just a thought. I've just sent him my message like that one.

15. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Done and done, Wiz. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bill

16. bigbazza

Spybot

Wise words, wizewiz ! Will do. Baz

===================

17. Wisewiz

Great all around, guys! What a bunch! And for today, G'night all!

18. pompste

pompste Private First Class

Much Thanks To All.

Hi,thanks again to everyone for the wise information.I can see now after reading the responses,this forum has some really intelligent members and i look forward to posting any challenging questions in the future.
    POMPSTE

19. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

"quote" i look forward to posting any challenging questions in the future.
    POMPSTE"------- we will be waiting :p :cool: ;)

20. bigbazza

Cowboy, Thanks for leaping to my defence at the Authors site. Maybe I should have posted the usage settings as they affected my PC instead, or as well as, posting the link to the MG thread. A lot us read the threads without checking out any references quoted (as we should, to get the full picture). Baz

21. billH

billH Master Sergeant

I'll second Baz on thanking the 'Boy for speaking to his defense :) Eloquently done with no "Why you dirty . . ." attitude at all. We be gentlemen and ladies here at MG :cool:

22. bigbazza

The continuing story of Spybot beta

Hullo to all, I have just ran all 3 versions of Spybot S & D on my laptop as follows: -

......................................SYS................USER................GDI
    Spybot 1.1........................15....................14....................25
    Spybot 1.2........................20......................6....................27
    Spybot 1.3 beta.................34....................14....................46

They were each run independently, with minimum else running except Analog X Max mem, volume control and rsrcmtr.exe.

IMHO it would appear that 1.3 beta uses almost as much resources as 1.1 and 1.2 combined (on my laptop W98SE, P2/400, 288mb RAM, 30 gig HD

I will post this on the Author's site http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=13540 as well.

I uninstalled the beta, installed 1.2 and then ran Spybot 1.2, AdAware and PestPatrol together and still had 23/47/23 left. Plenty of resources for Freecell. Still had 22/44/22 left with Freecell running. Baz

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  23. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Everyone :)
    I am just playing around with the new version of spybot v1.3rc4 :p
    And am pleased to say that the problem's that you were having i think are now cleared. It will be available for download later today i think from MG :)

24. NICK ADSL UK

Hi xflat :)
    I am no expert with spy bot I'm afraid. I Always leave recommendation's unless i am 100% sure of my facts

25. NICK ADSL UK

Here is the list of fixes that were made to rc3, that are now implemented in rc4 and are OK.

1. "Settings - Ignore products" doesn't show anything. Problem recognized. Problem fixed.

2. Shows old updates. Problem recognized. Will set MaxBuild flag of current updates asap to avoid updates for 1.2 shown in 1.3. MaxBuild now set to 20040413, meaning that all previous versions that need them will still show them.

3. Cookies fileset shows zero entries because cookies are detected through a helper file, not the fileset itself. Additionally list the number of detected products. Count now shown correctly

4. Startup tool is showing only first existing database entry, which could lead to misinterpretation of entries. Fixed - now if multiple entries for the same value exist, they will all be listed.

5. Removal of Bastard trojan folders. Looks like it was readonly/system/hidden attributes set to each folder. Spybot-S&D is now cleaning those before removal for folders as well.

6. Monitor TeaTimer activity after terminated process. Found problem with scanning files on network drives... did let TeaTimer monitor a million app starts without a crash this night... previously a thousand were enough to hang the system...

7. Update Credits. Done

8. Avoid multiple instances of Spybot-S&D (old code was removed for 2003 compability)...

9. Make TeaTimer dialogs localized.

10. Add all domains that Immunize adds to the Restricted Zone to the Cookie-Block-List as well.
    (correction: restricted zones already includes cookie blocking)

11. Let user choose during installation if TeaTimer and SDHelper should be installed.

12. Cookie immunization for 9x/ME. Fixed by doing this in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well.
    (update: is now done for all users)

13. TeaTimer and SDHelper checkboxes seem to be misbehaving sometimes.

These findings are from the authors

26. bigbazza

Thanks Nick, is it still a resource hog? Baz

27. NICK ADSL UK

Hi baz :)
    What readings have you got then in task manager?

Attached Files:

28. bigbazza

Nick, I haven't installed the latest beta. BTW I couldn't open your attached image. Is there a trick I am overlooking. Baz

29. NICK ADSL UK

Hi bAZ
    It is only a screen shot of the new version of spy bot thats all. You will like the new version i am sure. This is my screen shot of spy bot in action from the task manager

Attached Files:

30. bigbazza

Thanks Nick, I will download it and give it a try. BTW I still can't open your attached image.
    How do you open it. nowhere to doubleclick, no hints visible that these old eyes can see. Baz

=========

31. bigbazza

Spybot

Tried to access the Spybot site but no dice. I assume they are swamped by downloaders. Hope MG can get on and download it and post a link aso an MG download. Baz

===========

32. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Its not a link, just an image.

33. bigbazza

Hi, A few points of clarification.

(1) I cannot access Nick's attached image:confused:
    (2) I cannot access any Spybot company pages. I keep getting a "CGI-limits reached--try again later" error message. It may be site is overloaded or another DDos attack.:mad:
    (3) I hope MG can get onto Spybot site and download latest beta, as per Nick's post below, and set it up so we can download it from MG and not have to go to Spybot site.:) :) Baz

===========

34. bigbazza

Spybot volunteer

xflat, will do. We need another "volunteer" who loads it at Startup. I have, in the past, only run it every couple of days. I guess if it is not a resource hog I might be convinced to run it each time at bootup Cowboy, thanks for the link, Baz

================

35. bigbazza

Spybot

Here we go (xflat and Cowboy) and for anyone else interested. Lots of reads from the original post !

===========

Following on from previous posts (you'll have to scroll down, and/or change pages)
    ===================

Thursday--22/4/2004--9am Australian Eastern time.

Downloaded and installed Spybotsd13rc4.exe, 4.11 megabytes (download, 20 mins and 20 seconds for me on dialup).
    Installed new beta 13rc4.
    Logged off MG and rebooted.

Closed down all programs with icons at bottom right of screen, except for Analog X Maxmem, rsrcmtr.exe and Volume control, same as earlier post.
    .........................................................................SYS.........USER...........GDI
    Maxmem shows 79% of RAM free
    (227mb, in my case). Resources are.....................80...............80...............91

Clicked on Spybot icon on my desktop
    and ran it (PS: no padlock icon appears).

Maxmem shows 56% of RAM free
    (162mb, 65mb used??)
    Resources fall to..................................................49................69............49

Closed Spybot, ran MaxMem again,
    87% free (250mb free)and now.............................83.................83............89
    To recap and align them all, hopefully.

........................................SYS................USER................GDI
    Spybot 1.1...........................15....................14....................25
    Spybot 1.2...........................20.....................6.....................27
    Spybot 1.3 beta rc3...............34....................14....................46
    Spybot 1.3 beta rc4...............31....................11....................41

IMHO, on my PC, still a hog, slightly better than rc3 in resources used.

MG'ers, please comment, I would like to hear from those of you that run rc4 on a lot more powerful PC than mine.
    Solo 9300XL laptop, P2/400, Win98SE, 288mb RAM (maxed out), 30gig HD.
    Yehhh, I know, it's old!

Composed this in Notepad and pasted it here (Cowboy). Hope it comes out aligned after inserting more dots.

Baz

36. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

I would have to agree. No tea for me, thank you.

37. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

All it takes is a msconfig to uncheck the tea :) :cool:

38. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

With the fact that SpyBot S&D has now become a massive resouce hog, do we all want to keep recommending people to use it when they have problems with spyware? Can we get a link put back on MG to the 1.3Beta6 version so we can recommend that people use that version rather than the latest resource hogs.

Or do we recommend installing it and running it but never to leave it running (i.e., do not run at startup and terminate it after a scan)?

What does everyone else think?

39. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/showpost.php?p=340058&postcount=14
    :rolleyes:
    That's a good idea, at least until Patrick gets the bugs worked out.

Until then I'm going to direct people to the last non-beta ver 1.2 on his home page. It's too much of a PITA to tell someone "Install this, but then disable teatimer.exe in msconfig or it'll slow down your system."

No wonder they're called growing pains.

40. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yeah! And every 15 minutes there is another request for help where we all want to recommend using Ad-aware, SpyBot,....yadda yadda. And right now I don't want to tell anyone to use the latest versions of SpyBot.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  41. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Each version of Spybot I've used has always knocked the resource meter down between 30 - 45%. It is mentioned on NI's website that it is due to the type of scanning engine they chose to utilize. My personal preference will always be Spybot over Ad-aware, not matter how much juice it needs.

42. NICK ADSL UK

43. bigbazza

Spybot

xflat, just a quick question. Do later versions of Windows (later than W98SE) handle SYS, USER and GDI resources any better than W98SE, in general, not necessarily just concerning Spybot. I guess rc3 and rc4 beta versions are still a hog in more recent OS's and CPU's than mine (P2/400) from reading other posts below. Some before and after comparisons would be of interest from those with modern PC's.

I guess I will still use rc4 but "on demand" and will close it afterwards. All it means is that I can't run 3 programs at once. The naysayers will say I shouldn't be doing it, but it used to work for me with version 1.2. Baz

==========

44. bigbazza

Spybot beta testing

xflat. thanks for the quick and interesting reply. Baz

45. billH

billH Master Sergeant

and you know the frustrating thing...it was here on this thread the entire time! Alanc...BillH...Myself all of us who just d/l on top had an issue.......
    Good call Flattop ;) I uninstalled SBS&D and reinstalled (after an extensive session with RegSupreme getting empty keys deleted and one pesky reg key that didn't want to die. Oh yeah I found out the only and I mean only way to fly when cleaning out leftover keys, entries and other unneccessary garbage after an install is to run CCleaner (that's the polite name for it :D ). Boy is this a powerful, neatly wrought little application. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should take a look at it.) and the hoggy aspect of SBS&D dropped dramatically. Keep in mind I'm, for now, only running 256Meg of ra, on a P4 2.4 Gig. Like the Cowboy though, I'll keep an eye on the critter until I trust it.
    Bill
    EDIT: If I have it set to block pages silently...and I go to Intresting Weblinks page here on the MG.....if I click on a weblink....my PC freezes to the point I have to reboot...
    Tried the website links and Google and several others.
    So far no probs.
    B

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds