Spybot error removal leads to BSOD upon start up.....EVERY TIME!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by gochi, Feb 19, 2009.

1. gochi

gochi Private E-2

So it found several errors and some of them spybot had to delete upon reboot b/c they were part of the memory or something.

Anyhow, I restarted the computer and i get the error:

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I had gotten this error before, but, i could login and then after a few windows of reader_S.exe popped up i had gotten the same error. Difference in the past and now is that i knew the source of the problem which was reader_S.exe and i manged to go into safe mode and deleted it, so that I could login.

However, in this case, i really do not know the cause of the problem. No hardaware was installed/removed etc....however, the virus/malware has been succesfull in muting my audio. In control panel all audio options are unselectable.

Again, upon startup of my computer I get
    "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" error. I got this error after spybot succesfully completed the scan and removed all known infections.

I'd really like some help on what i could do to fix this, as i need to retrieve some files from my desktop. BTW, is there a way to access my files on my other account in safe mode?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have moved your thread to software. You will need to address the BSOD before we can assist you in malware if you so need.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

reader_S seems to be a trojan. I don't know if Spybot can clean trojans.
    Download and install malwarebytes http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
    let it scan your computer. When it is done, it will show you the infections. Let it clean them up. If it says some can't be cleaned but will cleaned before windows loads, reboot and let it clean them.
    Then reboot again after all has been cleaned and post if you are still getting errors. If the error is white printing on a blue screen, please post the first alphanumeric code it will look like 0x000000## where ## will be letters or numbers. This helps as well as the words like "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area".

4. gochi

gochi Private E-2

alright I will do this, however, Im in a bit of a sticky situation at the moment, so my next reply MIGHT take more than 1 day.

5. plodr

No problem...when you are ready, even if it is a week or two later, post back in this thread.

6. gochi

gochi Private E-2

Well I managed to get it done today. I really would like to use my latop again as it has some files I do need for school. It would be best if i could deal with this situation this weekend.

Here is the code:

page_fault_in_nonpaged area

STOP: 0X00000050 (0XFFFFFFFE, 0X00000000, 0X872D1ECA, 0X00000000)

I ran malware bytes in SAFE MODE, as i can not login into my account due to this BSOD issue. It found 40 infections and removed the ones which were in memory upon restart. Though, I still can not login into my original account.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. plodr

I found a post with instructions on how to rebuild the page file. Since you can't login as I guess you will need to try this in safe mode.
    Right click My Computer > Advanced tab > Settings under Performance > Advanced tab > Virtual Memory > Change bar > check/tick no paging file and reboot. Then do this again Right click My Computer > Advanced tab >Settings under Performance > Advanced tab > Virtual Memory > and check/tick System managed size.

I also see that a problem with RAM can cause this error. It wouldn't hurt to remove the RAM, clean the contacts (be careful of static) with a pink eraser and then reseat the memory sticks.
    Also if you have two sticks of RAM, try booting up with just one stick. It will be slow but if one stick is bad, it will show up by doing this.

8. gochi

gochi Private E-2

This is actually a laptop, so I really would just like to leave it in one piece ;)

Anyhow, if your instructions are followed accordingly, what will be the outcome?

9. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

Is SPybot the ONLY issue youre having? Maybe uninstall and download all new...

If you have other issues also, then thats different.

10. gochi

gochi Private E-2

Well, I was getting BSOD before the spyware due to various malware. However, this time, I am unable to actually login to my account. This problem only started after spybot was run.

What do you mean by unistall all ?

-thanks

11. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

Did you try the recovery option in spybot to undo what was removed?

12. gochi

gochi Private E-2

hmm...I'll try that in safe-mode.

13. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

If you run malwarebytes after spybot, you should have all the nasties off.
    If you are still getting BSOD you may need to do a scannow thing.. Some files in XP may be damaged by the bad boys..

14. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

there is a file checker in MS info then click on tools, this will check all the critical files

15. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

The blue-screen referring to non-paged areas will go away. That message essentially means that your paging file is wither the wrong size or in the wrong place. Upgrading RAM can cause it, as can messed up windows system files or a bad hard drive. Those last two are more rare though, but then again, if you had a virus, it could have corrupted something in your install.

16. gochi

gochi Private E-2

Well I am still getting BSOD errors.

17. Mimsy

With the same errors on them or is it a new one?

The BSoD is an error message, just saying you get a bluescreen doesn't tell us anything other than that your computer crashed. What is the stop code and what is the error message? Is it mentioning a specific file? Its it always the same?

18. gochi

gochi Private E-2

Its still the same...all i can do now is use safe mode. But the processes like iexplorer.exe, about 4 of them, are running under the system user. same with reader_s.exe and other .tmp files.

and yes, i get the same error when i try to login into my account.

Here is the code:

page_fault_in_nonpaged area

STOP: 0X00000050 (0XFFFFFFFE, 0X00000000, 0X872D1ECA, 0X00000000)

19. thebigd

thebigd Private E-2

There are lots of free livecd installations you can get access to that will let you pull the data off of the hdd quickly and easily.

Any WinPE based CDs, SuperERD, UBCD4WIN etc will all boot w/ generic USB drivers and allow you to copy data from a dead hdd to whatever medium you choose. The only time it might get somewhat sticky is if windows doesnt have a mass storage driver for your system. If you are not running a RAID array or high end SAS type drive you should have no problems. If you dont have access to any of these, check out knoppix. Its free, linux based, and a great resource for dead comptuers. http://www.knoppix.org

20. gochi

gochi Private E-2

well looks like i have virut infections.

i need to reinstall/reformat, but I cant find my CD. Any ideas what i should do to reformat/reinstall?

21. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you have your xp software key on the computer, you can use another xp cd as long as it is the same version.

22. gochi

gochi Private E-2

hmm...where do I look for it?

UPDATE: I am able to login into my account. I see the background image of my desktop, but no icons. If i try to run "c:" by going ctrl + alt + del, then run, i get the same BSOD. I am actually able to surf the net.

what the heck happend?

23. Mimsy

Um.... find your CD...?

24. oma

oma MajorGeek

25. Crimson Idol 8

Crimson Idol 8 Private E-2

I recently got done by the reader_s.exe virus and before you go off half-cocked and format your PC, I suggest jumping into Safe Mode and attempting a System Restore. This worked for me and I all I did were the following steps.

1. Disabled my internet connection, to stop the outflow of email spam.
    2. Rebooted.
    3. Entered safe mode.
    4. Ran System Restore to an earlier uninfected checkpoint.
    5. Ran Spybot, Advanced System Care, CCleaner and a virus scan with Norton Internet Security 2009.
    6. Removed reader_s.exe prefetch file from C:\Windows\Prefetch folder.
    7. Rebooted.

And what do you know? The virus was gone and my computer was fine. I suggest trying this first before formatting. Hope it helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds