Spyware Doctor wants to connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by blt, Sep 2, 2006.

1. blt

blt Private E-2

I have the free version and I didn't enable the automatic updates. But from time to time it wants to connect to the internet but I just deny it with Zone Alarm. My question is why does it do that?

And why is Spyware Doctor the slowest to appear on the system tray everytime I turn on my computer? (I also have Antivir, Zone Alarm, Spybot S&D and Advanced Windows Care start with windows and they all appear rather fast. SD takes several minutes.)

2. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

how long does your typical startup take?

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

i would highly recommend that you uninstall spyware doctor. i've encountered a couple of machines with it, and it just seems to gnarl itself with IE6 for unnecessary reasons. you don't need a adwatch kind of tool running in your background anyways. I would recommend adding Ad-Aware SE 6 and SpywareBlaster on your pc. And I don't think Advanced Windows Care is necessary. Let others comment though

Final thoughts: Spyware Doctor is like the Norton 2006/McAffee Enterprise of the real time spyware protecter programs. Slow, annoying, intrusive.

4. blt

blt Private E-2

My computer is actually old but it is still capable enough and start up doesn't take that long except for Spyware Doctor. I need AWC and SD along with Spybot just for the spyware immunization. I have been infected once because I didn't install immunizers. I only have the free versions of all.

5. thisisu

was this problem resolved?

6. blt

blt Private E-2

I actually don't mind the slow startup. What I want to know is why it wants to connect to the internet when I only update it manually. I have disabled the automatic update feature.

7. jojoreal19

jojoreal19 Private E-2

i also got spyware doctor free from a cd mag, at first it is impressive with fast and detailed detection of potential dangerous programs and files, but annoying with its auto update so i uninstalled it. adaware and spybot will do, once immunized, u dont need awc runing in ur tray same with spybot in start-up. just do a manual scan from time to time, use win patrol to manage ur start-up.

8. blt

blt Private E-2

I really can't take any chances. I need the immunizer from all three and I only have the free version of Ad Aware. If my system resources permits it I would let more run in the background.

9. thisisu

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds