Spyware Terminator -- we have a communication problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

After growing gradually more and more frustrated with SpyBot, how slow it always seems to run, and the way it goes to (not responding) whenever I ask it to do anything at all, including updating and scanning, I finally got to the point I didn't want the hassle anymore. SpyBot out, Spyware Terminator in.

The terminator seems to have a lot more features than the bot did, and I especially like the white list and black list, and how it lists known/safe software and unknown after scanning. I have one serious problem with it though: Spyware Terminator thinks the update utility for Avira is a trojan. I disagree with the terminator, since I'm pretty sure that if my AV had been replaced by malware masquerading as an AV, I would be having some very bad computer problems.

I expected ST to need some direction and training in distinguishing between good and bad applications, and I've been running every update I can think of, so I can set ST to permanently allow then, but with Avira's updater checking the box to always allow the process to do its thing doesn't seem to work.

Eh... help? If ST won't let Avira update, I'm going to have issues here. :(

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Can't you pause Avira to let ST in Mimsy ?

3. Mimsy

Sorry if my post was unclear. ST is installed already. It just finished scanning my computer. My problem is ST blocks Avira Updater, and no matter how many times I tell ST not to, it keeps doing it.

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Do you have Avira's nagscreen coming on with every update? Could that nagging to upgrade be the cause of being flagged by ST, seeing it as spyware? Got no other idea than perhaps worth a try to disable it?

In case you didn't disable the nag screen, here's a link that shows you how:

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

If you do have that nag screen disabled then just disregard this post. :)

5. Mimsy

I have the nag screen turned off, but I do occasionally get the "out of memory -- shutting down AV notify" error. I've been getting that error every time I've tried to run the update.

And just as an FYI, that method doesn't work on Avira 2010, so I did it this way. ;)

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

DUH, my bad, copied and pasted the link I gave you from my bookmarks without looking if there was a newer one out there. :-o Will delete the old one and put yours in.

Hopefully someone else will come along and help you out Mimsy.

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just a thought but did you install ClamAV with Spyware Terminator? If so, it might be causing the conflict.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since Spyware terminator comes with Antivirus according to the Spyware Terminator page, I suspect you have Clam and do not know it.

Avira suggests turning it off or removing SpywareTerminator.

Have you tried SpywareBlaster? It doesn't scan but it blocks bad sites and bad cookies. Unless it is on a Win7 computer; I vaguely remember something about the database becoming too large and causing problems.

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

SpywareBlaster was installed on the machine I am on now in April of this year.
    Has been updated on a regular basis.
    Now massive rolleyes:-D at a size of 5.33MB

10. Mimsy

This is a Win7 computer, sadly. I paid close attention to make sure I did not accidentally install Clam, but just to make sure I went to Ccleaner's uninstaller and looked for it. I also checked in "Add/Remove..." and with Revo, and the only clams in my house are the ones in the steamer out in the kitchen as I type LOL

Now for good but somewhat embarrassing news: I figured out the communication problem.

Spyware Terminator lets you choose whether you want to always allow things to be done to the target file or by the initiating file. I didn't notice that, so I was allowing the first when I should have allowed the second (= always let the updater run). As soon as I discovered the checkmark and moved it to the second box the update went smoothly. I've ran the updater a few times to make sure, and from the looks of it, Avira and ST are now getting along just fine.

In other words, completely my own fault for not paying attention. At work we call it a picnic.

(Problem In Chair, Not In Computer :-o )

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Big of you to 'fess up.
    And a lesson for others that even Majors can goof at times.

(Lord above knows I do).

12. Mimsy

I found the solution. If I post it here, it can help others. I'm not sure that counts as "fessing up". Besides, even if it does, I have no delusions of infallibility. :p

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Was referring to your comment in small print.
    Problem in chair, not in computer.

The last infallible person was crucified more than 2000 years ago.

14. Mimsy

We have lots of short-hand, that we're not allowed to use in the customer notes LOL

ID-10-T is the most common one though. :innocent

15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Interesting and thanks for posting the solution. That might help me for someone running Win 7 with Avira and Spyware Terminator. (Some of my seniors will be replacing their Win 2K with a Win 7 computer and since I don't have Win 7 running anywhere, I'm starting to pay attention for the time when I need to suggest security for them).

16. Mimsy

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I have another question about Spyware Terminator: I just noticed that Antivir's spyware protection is running. Should I disable that, since ST has real-time protection as well? Won't it cause conflicts if they both run?

17. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, you should only be running one active AS program. It's fine to have more, but those others should be for backup scanning, not active scanning. ;)

18. Mimsy

That's what I thought I remembered reading somewhere in the Malware forum... I should turn off the real-time in ST then, since Avira is linked with the antivirus?

19. TimW

You can leave ST running along side of Avira. I don't think there would be a conflict. I know this sounds confusing, since Avira has AS abilities, but I would just recommend you don't have another AS active program running. Avira is mostly dealing with AV infections that may include spyware definitions, but I don't think the two will conflict. Does that make sense?

20. Mimsy

Sort of... if by that you mean that since Avira isn't very rabid about spyware, it's not going to interfere to the point where it would cause a conflict. I haven't seen anything indicating they hate each other, aside from that update issue that was all my fault anyway, so I'll leave it on then. I can always turn it off later if it starts being a problem.

21. TimW

I think you will be fine, Mimsy. I don't think you will find any conflict with the two. ;)

22. Mimsy

Hopefully not. Though if I do, I will of course blame you. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds