SpywareBlaster chrome alternative?

Discussion in 'Software' started by devilishly.charmin, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilishly.charmin

devilishly.charmin Private First Class

Hi, does anyone know if there is a program alternative to do what SpywareBlaster does but that protects while using Google Chrome ?

Thanks

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I would think that SpywareBlaster would still be doing its job since it works for Windows instead of the browser.

3. devilishly.charmin

As far as I was aware it also protects your browser too...

"Secure Your Browser
    SpywareBlaster provides protection for your favorite web browser(s):

Internet Explorer
    Mozilla Firefox
    Netscape
    Seamonkey
    Flock
    K-Meleon
    and browsers that use the IE engine, including:
    AOL web browser
    Avant Browser
    Slim Browser
    Maxthon (formerly MyIE2)
    Crazy Browser
    GreenBrowser"

That is from the spywareblaster website

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I use another that isn't shown. Opera. But I don't seem to ever catch anything.

5. devilishly.charmin

Does it ever alert you with any activity regarding Opera? Does it have any settings on the program to configure it to work with Opera?

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Never get any warnings. Just sits there.
    Have noticed that "Protection is enabled" lists IE and Firefox, but I don't really worry about it.
    I keep a pretty close eye on things and keep everything up to date and I also scan on a regular basis.

7. devilishly.charmin

Ah ok. Well I am looking for a alternative that will maybe monitor Chrome like that does with IE and Firefox.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Whether it does or doesn't, it still goes onto every machine I own or service.

9. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,
    I am looking for the same as the OP and with all due respect having an app sitting on your machine just for the hell of it isn't really the point is it ?
    If I have SpywareBlaster installed and I am using Chrome then it is logical to want it to actually be doing something to protect my system or it may as well not be there.
    Of course we all need to take care also but the point of system security is to provide some security. Well that's how I see it anyway.
    Sorry I can't be more constructive in my answer but I will keep an eye on the post in case anyone else is.

Regards Alex.

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It is 'doing something', it writes known malicious URL's to the host file in Windows when installed and updated which will then give you a 404 if you manage to click on a rogue site.

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Whether Chrome is listed or not it seems to me it is being protected, as neither MSE on my XP system nor Avast on my W7 system are detecting any spyware during scans, yet both use Chrome virtually exclusively. If your scans aren't detecting much either what are you worrying about?

12. Earthling

Are you sure about that augie? I ask because the only entries in either of my hosts files are the defaults, all commented.

13. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,
    I didn't mean to imply that Spywareblaster wasn't doing anything at all on a Chrome system as I didn't know if it was or not. The last two answers would confirm that it is doing something useful and that is reason enough to install it.
    I was just commenting on the idea that "whether it does or it doesn't it still goes on". I didn't feel that helped the OP much.

Regards Alex

14. augiedoggie

Hmm, I may have been thinking of SpyBot then.:-o I better check my machine.

15. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

16. Earthling

I found this, written 2007 by a MSMVP. It still doesn't answer the question as to whether it works for Chrome though.

SpywareBlaster adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID's of known spyware. Every program has a CLass ID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update.

SB does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again.

17. augiedoggie

I just switched to Chrome so that is indeed good news Sikvik! I noticed that I don't have Spybot S&D loaded, new install and I always forget something.:-o Going to add it to my 'new install checklist'.:major

18. tigersmustlive

tigersmustlive Private E-2

Chrome does use the IE engine to a certain degree so I would think the program would be doing what it's supposed to.

19. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Where do you get your information from. Chrome was built from the ground up originally when Google hired a couple Firefox developers back in 08. In in no way, shape or form has any part of IE in it.

I'm not sure if your a spammer or what, but your posts so far lean heavily towards adding information that in no way is helpful. I am now forced to waste my time checking all of your posts to see what other crap you posted.

We have a lounge for general chit chit, the support threads are to HELP people only. Anything else complicates and confuses people who came here for HELP, not your opinions.

Should you continue, you will be banned on the next post.

20. Wittmann

Wittmann Private First Class

I see this is an old thread, but SWB problems seem to be an essential part of their program. Now they have concentrated on ensuring that Windows XP and Google Chrome do not work together. Firefox and IE are OK, but the SWB mega-programmers are completely in limbo with XP and Chrome.

This tale of woe is adequately followed to its ultimate conclusion in -
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595576/spywareblaster-52-does-not-work-with-google-chrome/

Have you any comments on this SWB matter ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds