ssd vertex 3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theefool, Apr 29, 2011.

1. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, 2 240 Gig vertex 3 drives should be arriving soon. Just wanted to mention that. I'll post a full picture view, when they arrive. Though, they won't be installed anytime shortly. Gotta wait for the x79 to come out. Also, 6 core cpu, perhaps.

I'll post here with proof of purchase. later.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, couldn't order two at once. Got my 1st drive in, and ordered my 2nd drive now. Some of the bad reviews on the drives, I wonder if the bad reviewers know how to use SSD drives. /shrug.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'm keeping my eye on your thread fool even if no one else is:-D

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Very nice indeed!

can i ask why you bought them now if you are not going to use them when you could buy them cheaper or a better version when you are actaully going to use them?

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sure, I want to change up my typical practice of buying all the upgrades at once, and instead, buy them one at a time. Though, I'm very tempted to go ahead and install the one I have now, into my computer, just to brag. But, I'm also looking for a raid controller that is decent for an ASUS p67 deluxe V1. I've looked at both LSI and adaptec. Not sure what to get, since I've read issues happening with the x58 boards.

Any suggestions? Reason being, my board doesn't support 6 GiB. And, I would need an addon card to support them for full speed.

On another note, I'm jealous of your OC Burrel. ;)

Though, I believe you and I have the same Corsair 800D case. :)

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Also, I use to buy a new computer every 2 years, now, I tend to upgrade slowly, sometimes a "tick" upgrade then a "tock" upgrade. This next one will be a staggered "tock" upgrade. Just would like to know if the new x79 boards will support ram in similar size as the x58 boards. I'm at 12, would love to go 24, but if the new boards can't support that, then I have no reason to upgrade now. But, if I knew they did support that, then I'd be going 24 G now. (need it for the VMs I'm running).

Heh, just for proof:

Attached Files:

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, I have my 2nd vertex 3, and now thinking about installing them tomorrow. Though, I don't have any sata3 connectors, so they won't be as fast as they should be. Raid 0, of course.

I'm still planning on going the route of x79, but that is 3-4th quarter of this year. Huh. I've read that the ram can go from 16 to 96 Gig of ram. I'd be happy around the 16 to 32 gig of ram. So, I'm planning on upgrading my current computer to 24 gig of ram, unless I go head and get a new cpu and mobo.

Any ideas on a decent mobo and 2600K cpu? I'd like to hit 5Ghz, I'm using a corsair water cooler for the cpu.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's going to be one mean machine!:major The 2011 sockets should be out by then or nearly so.

10. augiedoggie

BTW, the H70 doesn't perform that much better than the H50 in head to head comparison and costs quite bit more. Also, they supply noisy fans, at least on the h50 they do. Plus the 2600K puts out less heat than the i7-920, 32nm vs. 45nm.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yeah, but on corsair's website....nm looks like it will fit. Okay, thanks for saving me $100. :)

All, the other components are nice, but I'm always looking at a solid mobo. This one seems decent. But, I always look for better. Since it is thee most important thing on any computer.

12. augiedoggie

I've got the P8P67 too and it looks like a good one, always loved ASUS stuff! The BIOS is weird to me but the official OC guide looks good. I've just got to reinstall my Hyper 212+ HS/F as it seems to have issues @ %100 load, like 85C?:eek It should be good for 4.5GHz at 70C and I'm currently at stock ATM.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Hrmm, I still want to hit 5ghz stable. Hope the H50 does it. Thanks for the info.

14. augiedoggie

Maybe in a push/pulll config, 5GHz seems like a tough nut to crack. Luck of the draw.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

I guess 2 then. :| We'll see.

16. Rikky

5GHZ is the limit of current semi conductor technology.It doesn't really matter if you get the latest top of the line CPU or one from 5 years ago,none can really run stable at 5GHZ and they may never hence the ever increasing number of cores.

I could be wrong but I've never seen anyone run @ 5GHZ 24/7 stable,it isn't called the 5ghz barrier for nothing:) Anyone hitting 5GHZ is using either phase change or a nitrogen evap pot and the CPU doesn't last long.

Here's an interesting article @ Toms Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mother-cpu-charts-2005,1175-2.html

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  17. theefool

theefool Geekified

18. Rikky

Hey best of luck,I'm looking forward to reading your thread:)

Did a little reading at it seems a lot of people have hit 5GHZ on air with the sandybridge's,damn maybe I've been out of the loop a month too long:-D

Time to junk my rusty old I7 Bloomfield :-D

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  19. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yeah, hoping for water to be better than air. :)

I still have to order and get this put in. I look forward to it though.

20. theefool

theefool Geekified

21. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, current goal, is to go ahead and purchase what I have saved in newegg. Then when the new boards roll in, decide whether or not to upgrade again. Or just wait. I'd only be out about $500 or so. Since I'm expected to pay about $1300- $1400 for another upgrade for cpu and mobo.

22. augiedoggie

Holy crap man!:eek I always did wonder why they ever put a round cooler plate to a square CPU?:confused As to 'out of stock' I'd think they haven't received their fist shipment yet.;) Jeez, I don't even see it listed at newegg though it is listed at ncix.com.

23. theefool

theefool Geekified

I saw them listed as $120, regular price was $150. Just not sure, since I'd rather read a review on hardocp.com or something.

Ah, it had to been the site you posted, that I saw it online.

24. theefool

theefool Geekified

25. theefool

theefool Geekified

I may be crazy, this will be a slow build, since I need to save for the parts, but I'm thinking of using the 2 raid 0 vertex3 drives as my secondary drive, and the primary for 240 GB force 3 GT.

Also, looking at 16 GB ram, with the 2600K cpu (as a hold over) for the better cpu coming soon. I may even go with a 2nd GTX 580. Once again, this is just a plan, unknown when this will happen.

26. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, call me crazy, or foolish, but I went and bought a new case for my new build. Kinda expensive, but, I needed front usb 3.0 ports. Plus the overall design is very nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163178

It is the Silverstone Temjin Series TJ11B-W Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case. I did cringe at the price, since it is more expensive then my video card. Also, looking at the crucial m4 as a primary drive and using my two vertex 3's as the storage device.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  27. augiedoggie

:eek! That's about all that I can say.:)

28. theefool

theefool Geekified

New case came in. My current one (left) is the Corsair 800D.

Attached Files:

29. Rikky

I bought a silverstone case a few years back 'In fact I think it was one of the temjin series,wasn't half as expensive as that though?' probably one of the best quality cases I've come across,everything seemed just a little bit thicker and better quality,unfortunately the keys for the drive bay locks were missing so I had to return it,well I didn't have to but I wanted a case that day and they were out of stock IIRC.

My cases start cheap:-D Then I mould them into what I want,I've never come across a case I can just use out of the box,if I spent that much on one I still take a jigsaw to it:-D

Looks like a nice case:cool

30. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'll post more pics when I get my other parts in. The fans in this thing are huge.

31. theefool

theefool Geekified

Getting close. Need to buy the mobo, cpu next. A few more SSD's and slow HDD's.

I'll be posting pics, on the build, slowly but surely

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds