SSDs and Hibernation

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Hibernation is very bad for SSD life expectancy so I'm a bit alarmed after cloning my laptop's 8.1 from HDD to SSD to find that hiberfil.sys is in use, 2.5GB of data uselessly being written to my new SSD every session. I've reviewed all the advanced power settings and nowhere is the hibernation option selected. I've also tried deleting hiberfil.sys with a boot disk (Windows won't let me delete it), but it's recreated at next boot. Fastboot is also turned off.

ATM I'm thinking I had better remove the SSD and reinstate the HDD until I can find an answer to this problem and in the meantime I'm not shutting it down.

Anyone?

2. Earthling

It's OK, I found it -

In an elevated command prompt powercfg -h off

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not that big of a deal anymore.

It was more of a concern with old SSDs.

4. Earthling

Yeah, I know, but this is only a small drive, 120GB, and if I can stop it unnecessarily being hit by 2.5GB every session I think I'd rather do so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds