SSDs... which have Intel controllers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcsmc, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I must suck at Google with this one, because it's not turning up the results I want. I will be purchasing an SSD in the near future, have read up a little, and definitely want to go with the Intel controller. However, I can't seem to find controllers listed as a spec on most SSDs... so anyone know which brands use the Intel controllers? Specifically, I'm curious about Crucial, what controller they use.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I can't Google better than you but I have an Intel X25-V, love it, and they had some issues with licensing Trim to Kingston(read money). I believe all drives have TRIM now, if that's what you're asking. If they're Intel boards, who knows?:confused TRIM is TRIM, no matter who makes it.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Not just concerned about TRIM, I've read that the other controllers are inferior to Intel's, so I want the Intel controller, period. I know there's Intel BRAND SSDs, but I know other SSDs have Intel controllers too... just want more options to research.

The Intel SSDs seem to be selling very well (the one I would get if I got an Intel is currently out of stock on Newegg). I find it interesting that manufacturers seem intent on not revealing the controllers they use. I didn't download and read the white paper on Crucial's drives (not sure exactly if the white paper link is for the consumer drives anyway), but short of that I can't even find what controller they use. I find that strange, as every other bit of hardware plainly lists all circuitry technology and make.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi mcsmc

I guess you have seen this HERE they list a few and seems alot dont tell you in their spec sheets so I would be tempted to email the brand makers of SSDs as in Crucial and as what controllers they use in what models, never know they maybe forthcoming.

Some last info I had read but was Q2 last year was Kingston where the only maker licenced to use Intel controllers, dont yet know if that hold true still, will look later on. However I would start doing some research on benchtest of SSDs as iirc I did see alot of Intel ones not fairing well on read/write speeds (cannot find the link as yet, maybe on another PC)

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I hadn't seen that article, thanks for the link. I want a 120GB+ SSD, for one.

Yeah, I might email some of the SSD manufacturers and see if they'll spill some info, good idea.

From the little research I've done thus far, Intel's recent models are doing well in the benchtests and reliability, if you find the links saying otherwise I'd sure like to see them.

EDIT: From the reviews I've read, almost everyone agrees that the Intel controller supersedes the others in most aspects.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds