SSID Broadcast on Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MKorostoff, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MKorostoff

MKorostoff Private First Class

Hey, I've been trying to upgrade the security on my wireless 802.11g network. I've already set up WPA, and I'm going to whitelist the MAC addresses eventually, when I get around to it. I'm thinking of turning off SSID broadcasting. I don't really understand how that works. I would I connect to my own network if SSID is off?

I mean, if I can't see my network, how do I connect to it?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Yes, you would be able to connect. With SSID broadcasting, you are telling everyone in range of your router the name of your wireless network. If they don't know the SSID of your network, they can't connect to it. As long as you know the SSID of your network, it doesn't need to be broadcast to the world around you. The wireless connection signal itself is still broadcast but the name of your network is not. Just enter it in the SSID blank when you set up your wireless card (which I assume you've done), and it will connect to that network. It's how mine is set up and I connect just fine.

Don't forget to change the SSID from the manufacturer's default, otherwise shutting off the SSID broadcast doesn't matter.

3. MKorostoff

MKorostoff Private First Class

Thanks so much Just Playin. I tested out the router with SSID broadcast disabled, and I was able to connect without any problems or additional setup. But let me pose this hypothetical:

Say I'm at my dorm, with my wireless network setup. I whitelist the MAC addresses of all my friends and give them valid encryption keys so they can come hang out in my room and connect if they want to. Now, say Mark down the hall has set up his own wireless network. Assuming he has SSID broadcast enabled, and mine is the only network he uses which does not broadcast its SSID, could that create a problem? That is to say, if he configures his wireless card with my SSID, would he be unable to access his network without changing his settings eveytime?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hey MKorostoff,
    It would not cause any problems. There would be 2 different networks that are configured to be connected to. He would be able to have his primary network automatically connect and if he wanted to connect to yours, right click wireless icon, view available networks, disconnect from his, connect to yours. Once they are set up correctly, he can pick and choose the network connection to use.
    Hope that helps.:)

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

As long as your friend has your SSID and WPA key, he can connect to your network.
    Have your friend(s) try this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/BVRP_Connection_Manager_Lite_d4702.html
    He can then set up two wireless profiles, one for his network and one for yours. It's much easier for this purpose than the Windows connection manager.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds