Stalled startup, missing XP system files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jizaref1, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jizaref1

jizaref1 Private First Class

I recently posted in the malware forum (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=227129), but when my logs were clean they suggested posting here in the software forum.

My Windows XP SP3 is stalling at the end of startup. System files are inactive - e.g. I have no internet connection and when I click Network under control panel the window that opens up is blank, only white. When I right click I cannot paste files, and I cannot Drag and Drop. Many toobar icons are missing. The same problem occurs even when I startup in Safe Mode with Networking.

I have been running updated NOD32 regularly.

I already tried booting to Recovery Console and ran CHKDSK and FIXMBR.

Short of a clean install of Windows XP from scratch after wiping a hard drive, can anything else be done about this?

What other information would be helpful for diagnostics?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Honestly unless your determined to know what caused it or have any irreplaceable programs, I would just reinstall, it's not hard to do, and is for the best IMO as your OS sounds quite damaged.

3. jizaref1

jizaref1 Private First Class

Wow, really? I don't even know what happened. Is it possible the hard drive has a bad block and some of those system files are there and cannot be accessed on startup -- I don't know hardware well enough to know if that is possible. The reason I ask is to know whether a full install will fix it, or if I am dealing with hardware that might fail me again.

What about reverting to a prior system restore point? I don't know how windows does that, and if it depend on some of these system componenets that appear corrupt or missing.

Finally, if all fail and I am going to do a brand new clean install -- what is the best way to do it? Do I simply say NEW and overwrite what is there? Or do I wipe the HD somehow and install differently?

I don't have irreplaceable progress, but would love to avoid reinstall of all purchased software, freeware, download, and system architecture that I have put together.

Thanks again.

Jeff

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds