Standardized CAS latency and voltage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gman863, Aug 17, 2013.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

This is equal parts question and rant, so here goes...

Why can't memory manufacturers standardize CAS latency and voltage on products sold for standard system builds and upgrades?

As an example, most memory in OEM systems that use DDR2 is CL 5-5-5, 1.8 volts. I recently went to Fry's to get an extra 1GB stick for a desktop upgrade; the latency specs were not listed in the store on on their website. When I got to the shop to install it, I discovered it was CL 6-6-6; the system would not boot. The time to buy and return it was more expensive than the $14 cost of the stick. (Yes, from now on I won't buy anything until I check the specs first.)

While I understand that some gaming memory is designed for tweakers, it would make sense that regular RAM should all be the same by class (DDR2, DDR3, etc.). Not only would this make it easier to get the right latency and voltage the first time; retailers and manufacturers would likely cut their return and tech support costs dramatically.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Because they can. Also it depends on what the motherboard was designed for, as to what the CAS, Latency & Voltage is going to be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds