Standby button 'greyed out' when I turn laptop off

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark.richards, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mark.richards

mark.richards Private E-2

Hi, I recently re-vamped an old laptop with XP Pro. The 'Standby' button is now 'greyed out' and there is no option to hibernate in the power options settings.
    Not being that knowledgeable regarding these things I have searched online and a number of pieces of info suggest that it is a problem with a VGA compatible driver.
    When I check device manager there are a number of yellow ! next to the following items:
    Modem Device on HD audio bus;
    SM Bus Controller;
    Video Controller;
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

I have right clicked on them, selected properties and clicked update driver and reinstall driver - neither action could not be completed as the wizard could not find the necessary software.

Attached is the everest report - any pointers would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What I would start with is to install the Chipset driver HERE and reboot.

Then install the Video Driver HERE and the Audio HERE, reboot and see how your PC is doing.

Should be able to find any other drivers for your PC HERE

3. mark.richards

mark.richards Private E-2

Hi DavidGP,

Absolutely brilliant!!

I now have a standby button and the hibernate button in my power options settings - thank you so much!!

Regards,

Mark. :-D

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mark

No probs glad all is ok now.

5. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

:wave
    I have the same problem
    and have a NVIDA,what drivers should I try and update,please?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nvidia has chipset drivers as well.

You haven't mentioned what motherboard you have, so I cannot specify a link.

7. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds