Standby Networked Computer Access

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamepc, Feb 25, 2006.

1. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

When I try to access files on a networked XP computer that is in Standby I get the error message, Network path not available, File not accessible, or something to that nature. I know there is a way to access networked computers that are in Standby but I can't remember how. Computer on Standby is XP Pro. The other is XP Home.
    Help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James

2. I never heard of a way to do that because when your pc is in standby the hd is not moving and if the drive is not moving you cannot access it. So i think the server needs to be on full power all the time.
    -the new tech guy

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Your network card needs to support "Wake on LAN" and it needs to be enabled. This will bring the computer out of standby when a LAN request occurs.

4. But that would beat the whole purpose of putting the pc in standby wouldn't it? That is why i think the server should never be in standby to begin with.
    -the new tech guy

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I agree that a server shouldn't be in standby because each time you want to access it, you have to wait for it to come out of standby. However they didn't call it a server and I don't get the impression that their in a business environment. It sounds like an occasional file transfer situation where WOL would be a probable solution.

6. Ok then you would simply do that by enabling the wake on lan function in your BIOS settings.
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds