Start Menu Cache Always Refreshes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by J8son, Jul 31, 2012.

1. J8son

J8son Corporal

I'm running Windows 7 and I've tried Googling this particular question (I say question rather than issue because I'm not sure if it is yet). I noticed that after a restart, when I click the Start Menu to load a program, all my Start Menu items have to re-cach themselves or "load" to get the icons to appear. I've rebuilt the IconCache file several times and it does not seems to retrain the icon cache, thus causing it to load the blank white icon, then the real icons appear down the list as everything loads.

Is this normal Windows behavior or is there an issue with it not retaining the data from the last time I opened the Start Menu?

Thanks!

2. J8son

J8son Corporal

UPDATE:

I've tried Googling this issue for the last couple days to see if possibly there was something in the cache file that was set to "Read Only" and thus not allowing this to store this info. However, I can't find anything in particular.

So, is this normal behavior for the Windows Seven Start Menu to ALWAYS re-cache the icons on after a restart?

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I have never observed this on any of my systems; do you run any cleaning programs (like CCleaner) on a regular basis?

4. J8son

J8son Corporal

I have only ran it once since the fresh install I just did and I don't use anything relating to clearing the Start Menu cache. This happens after each shut down.

Here's an example. The shot on the RIGHT is when I first click the Start Menu for the first time after restart and the LEFT is a few seconds later when it "caches" all the icons (got the screen shots swapped):

[​IMG]

Ever happen to anyone else?

5. jaydeee

jaydeee Private E-2

that happens every time there are other heavy activities running on my system. I simply think it is because the system is busy to refresh and show the icons.

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Seeing as your problems are not related to lack of RAM, it's most likely too many security programs running at startup and checking for updates.
    If you'd like someone to inspect what's running at startup, download Autoruns and unzip it to its own directory. Right click and run as administrator.
    When it's finished, go to File >Save and save the Autoruns.arn file somewhere convenient.
    Zip the log file and attach to your post.

:seeya

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds