Start Menu Item

Discussion in 'Software' started by ezeidan123, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ezeidan123

ezeidan123 Private E-2

Hi
    Not sure if this is where to post this question. MY OS is XP Home Edition.
    I have been cleaning up my computer of unnecessary and duplicated software. As I was going through my Start Menu Items I found one called WD Diagnostics, I traced it back to the System 32 folder. I Google'd it and found that it is a Windows Installer app. What I am trying to find out is, 1) it is necessary? 2)Why is it in the Start Menu? 3)What did I do to have it in the Start Menu? 4) if it is necessary why does it have the ability to be uninstalled?
    Thank you for any info you shed on this.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Do you have an external hard drive?
    WD is Western Digital. They make hard drives.
    The Diagnostics app is usually installed when installing one of their HDD's.
    It is in the Start Menu by default, if you did not tell the installer not to create a Start Menu shortcut.
    Yes you can uninstall it or just remove it from the Start Menu.

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Its used to test your hard drive to see if its failing or not. You don't have to have it but its a good idea to run it on occasion. Wouldn't it be great to catch the drive before it fails so you could backup your data and not lose it?

4. ezeidan123

ezeidan123 Private E-2

Yes, I do have an External Hard Drive, duh:eek:, didn't put it together till you mentioned it. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds