Start Menu Shortcuts Error?

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Apr 1, 2005.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Tried (after some other PC repair activities) 'Re-install/Repair' OfficePro2003 along with restore shortcuts option but start menu shortcuts still dont work.
    Picture of error message... 'This action is only valid for products that are currently installed' is at http://www.scn.org/~bk870/startmenuerror/startmenu.htm
    Any ideas?

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hard to tell from the picture you furnished what the error says. Give us a little more info if possible and the exact error message.

1. Does the error include any numbers?

2. Does this just happen when you try OfficePro2003 or is it all shortcuts?

3. Does it happen on startup also?

Steve

3. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the reply.
    1. No numbers... the actual error message is in the box at the top of the link picture I included in the first post. It is... "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". So, its like the Office applications are not installed, but they are. The boxes below that message are the start menu boxes so the screen shot is a composite of the 2 screen shots... one of the menu picks and the error message that comes up after the menu pick for an Office2003 application pick like Word or Excel.
    2. Seems to be only the Office shortcuts although some other shortcuts seem to be screwed up and the 'flashlite' search mode is started after the pick.
    3. Not sure what you mean by on 'startup'
    I think the problem started after (its kindofa long story) I downloaded and installed jre-1_5_0_02-windows-i586-p.exe from java.com from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and after that (and after un-installing) couldnt use any online search engines or logins so I deleted and replaced my user 'documents and settings' (from a Karen backup) for my XP user logon. The file/s replace fixed the search engine and login problem/s (I couldnt even login at MajorGeeks) but seems to have effected other things (like this shortcut thing) that are not disabling but more irritating. BTW, Im really curious about the Java download thing (it was suggested by an eBay support person as needed to use their forums)... who/where might I be able to get help with that one?
    Hope that all makes some sense.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds