start up BUT slow shut down!

Discussion in 'Software' started by SuperNova, Mar 3, 2003.

1. SuperNova

SuperNova Private E-2

ok i know this has been asked a thousand times so i'm sorry but the known answers don't seem to fix My problem.:(
    system spec:
    80gig Maxtor drive
    40gig Maxtor drive
    geforce4 4600
    windows XP pro
    and my bios is the newest version of 1009

ok here is what she does when i start up;

5 sec black screen before first screen.

first screen will be the Processor test screen/ memory test
    then it list my drives: about 10 sec.

second screen will be the screen that list the cards and general info like how much ram, type, etc. just 2 sec flash.

Third screen will be pitch black with no Hard drive light for 10 sec. then it will flash once, 5 sec later it starts falshing and finally after 10 sec will go to the next screen about 30 sec total! :mad:

final screen before log-in with about 6 bars on the windows log screen. about 6 sec.

so we looking at 1 minute start up time! its basically instantly done starting up once the desktop shows up, but still.
    then when i go to shut down it sets forever at the windows is shutting down after it says its saving the settings for like 45 sec!
    i've did the change form 3 to 5 in the registry that you told another guy.
    before i reloaded Windows xp pro onto my system it never did this. and i've updated windows to the max.

so i need help on the startup black screen before windows starts loading and on the ending screen.

2. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

Hi, I know this is not the answer you want but-----

I switch my computer on and get a cup of coffee or go to the toilet and when I shut down I do virtually the same things. I have to come back at shutdown as my mouse and monitor don't switch off automatically.

I just don't let it worry me very much as I am on the computer for 2 hours or more per session so why worry about a couple of minutes.

I take it other than what is mentioned things are going alright and to save a second or so you could mess it up. Peace Mal

3. SuperNova

SuperNova Private E-2

well yea i know thats what i was doing. i shut my system down every night cause the fans i have makes my desk sound like the flight deck of a carrier with a f-18 taking off. (11 fans total) so i called tech support and finally barked so much i got to talk to the guy who made my system.
    he said that it sounded like a driver loading up was causeing problems and since i had some other problems i should just reinstall windows so i did. the shut down is fast now and the start up is the same so i gave up on it.:D

4. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Try using Bootvis to speed up start-up.

Also, go to Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG
    Then click the Startup tab

Compare the program list to Pacs Portal for a list of what programs start with your PC. Disable (untick) any that are not needed.

Between those two, you should be able to shave a few seconds at least of your boot times.

*edit* Forgot to mention. Pacs Portal is a HUGE page to load. Give it some time. It takes about 4 seconds on my 1Mbit connection!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds