Start UP Diagnostics Program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shajoe44, Sep 14, 2005.

1. shajoe44

shajoe44 Private E-2

Is there a program that can run a diagnostics of a computer that also will boot the computer up? I cannot get my laptop to boot up, it stops at the Windows screen during normal start up, and stops after about 2 pages of drivers during a safe mode start up. The man at the computer shop said it might be a video related problem.

Thanks

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Someone will correct me, if I am wrong, but if you press F8 function key when booting up, you will get various options. One of them is to select "confirming every step of the bootup process". I forget the exact wording as I am, naturally, on my PC now, to reply to this.

Confirm each process, "Y", as they occur. Sooner, or later, the process causing the problem will come up and cause your problem. You may have to do this a few times so you can catch the actual process/program/driver, that is causing the problem. Hope this helps. Bazza
    ===

3. shajoe44

shajoe44 Private E-2

F8 gives me options to various ways of booting up, ex: safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, etc. It does not give me any options as you stated. I have gone thru every option available and no luck.

4. bigbazza

Does it give you the option of creating a "bootlog.txt"? If so, this will make a txt file of all your boot up stuff, with the sequence and times taken.
    Maybe only for Win 9x OS's.

Boot log Analyzer http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/system_resources_tune_up_/bla.zip

will take your BootLog.txt file and display it for you, so you can see exactly what takes time in the boot up sequence..

If you are not using W95, W98, W98SE then the above may be of no use to you, unfortunately. Bazza

5. bigbazza

6. shajoe44

shajoe44 Private E-2

I am using XP. If I knew for sure it was the hard drive I would just go buy another one and try it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds